Council approves poet laureate

City Councilors unanimously approved a proposal to hold a hearing to find Boston’s poet laureate at yesterday’s city council meeting. According to the proposal by Councilor John Tobin (Jamaica Plain), the poet laureate would be a ceremonial position with duties including appearances at citywide events.

“I truly think it speaks to the historic nature of the city,” Council President Maureen Feeney (Dorchester) said.

The city council also discussed plans for a new Boston Public Schools superintendent.

Councilor-at-large Michael Flaherty said the public school district has gone far too long without a superintendent and said immediate action to find one is necessary. The proposal advocates an open process, which would allow community members to be more involved in Boston Public Schools, Flaherty said.

Councilors also called for a resolution asking Police Commissioner Edward Davis to create a taxicab bill of rights that would inform passengers of their rights as riders, including the right to a smoke-free environment and the right to be taken to their desired location by their desired route. The bill of rights would be located in plain view, next to the taxi’s license to operate.

Councilors Arroyo and Chuck Turner (Roxbury) proposed the development of a Civilian Review Board for the Boston Police Department, which they said would improve police accountability by giving citizens a forum to express their views when they feel police treatment is unfair. Murphy opposed the proposal, advocating that the Council “should be moving more proactively to get bad people off our streets.”