MBTA welcomes new chief

Speaking to a crowd of T riders, new MBTA Police Chief Paul MacMillan promised further safety increases to the system — which some have criticized for infringing upon civil liberties — at his swearing in ceremony yesterday.

MacMillan, the former MBTA Transit Police deputy chief, pledged to uphold both the Constitution and the state constitution as MBTA General Manager Daniel Grabauskas swore him into his new role at the State Transportation Building.

“For those of you assembled, I know you will do a good job,” Grabauskas said to MacMillan after swearing him in.

MacMillan said he plans to follow the plans of his predecessor, Joseph Carter — who was tabbed to lead the Massachusetts National Guard — to improve public safety.

In the past year, the MBTA tried to improve its security measures by instituting an automated fare-collecting system, which enables T employees to play a more active role securing the station, as well as random bag searches in various stations.

“Chief Carter has already put a plan in place. We plan to follow that plan of action and assess it to see if it’s doing what we want it to do,” MacMillan said.

He said his primary goal is to improve the MBTA by increasing safety precautions, including installing new technologies and adding more MBTA transit officers to patrol trains and stations.

MacMillan added he plans to expand the closed-circuit television camera system already in place by adding cameras inside trains.

“Those have been very helpful to us in identifying suspects of crimes,” MacMillan said.

The addition of cameras and transit officers will hopefully serve as a deterrent to crime and increase the public’s sense of safety, MacMillan said.

Cameras have raised some red flags with human rights groups in the past. American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts spokesman Chris Oft told The Daily Free Press in a recent article that cameras often appear in the city as “Big Brother” and security officers are relying on them too much as a “magical solution.”

MacMillan has served with the MBTA Transit Police since 1983 and managed the StopWatch program, which strives to “quell disturbances and disorderly conduct among youths on the MBTA” as Deputy Chief under Carter, MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said.

Some students say the proposed improvements would reduce paranoia and discomfort for T riders — particularly females.

“Whatever helps,” said College of Arts and Science freshman Brittney Shook. “For a girl, it’s really scary riding on the T alone, so increased security would help women feel more safe. Any little bit of security can help.”