MIT sophomore arrested in bomb scare at Logan

A Massachusetts Institute of Technology sophomore was arrested at gunpoint at Logan International Airport this morning after walking into a terminal wearing what appeared to be an explosive device on her chest.

Star Simpson, 19, had affixed a circuit board covered in LED lights and wires onto her sweatshirt, which read “Socket to me” on the back, and was also holding what looked like putty, later determined to be Play-Doh. Simpson said the outfit was a work of art.

Simpson was arrested just outside the doors of lower Terminal C and was arraigned in East Boston early this afternoon. Though the District Attorney had recommended a $5,000 bail, the trial court judge accepted the $750 she posted in cash and released her, setting a pre-trial hearing for Oct. 29.

District Court Judge Paul Mahoney cited the nature and circumstances of the offense and the potential penalty as reasons for accepting the lesser bail.

“She is an MIT student — said it was a work of art,” Mahoney wrote in court papers outlining his decision. “She seems to have experienced extremely poor judgment.”

Simpson, from Lahaina, Hawaii, is being charged with one count of possessing a hoax device — defined as knowingly or unknowingly possessing, transporting, using or placing a hoax device or substance with the intent to cause others anxiety, unrest, fear or personal discomfort.

For the offense, she faces two-and-a-half to five years in state prison and a fine of up to $5,000; she must also pay restitution for expenses incurred by city and state agencies in responding to the scene.

A member of the MIT swim team and Hawaiian club, Simpson is studying electrical engineering and computer science in the School of Engineering.

“She’s super smart, but I guess she’s got no common sense,” said an on-duty East Boston District Court guard, who could not provide his name due to state regulations.

Simpson’s boyfriend accompanied her to the arraignment.

The scare involving what turned out to be an innocuous piece of art is reminiscent of the Jan. 31 incident that paralyzed Boston for several hours as police combed the city for what were thought to be bombs, but turned out to be light-up circuit boards placed in an off-beat Turner Broadcasting System advertising campaign for a movie.