LETTER: BU men should step forward to help combat sexual violence

As a female and a senior, I commend Boston University for acknowledging the sexual assault issue and for (finally!) encouraging students to report these incidents. However, as I read the article “Guest allegedly assaulted in Warren bathroom” (Oct. 1, p.1), I realized there is obviously still much work to be done here — especially on the part of men.

Let’s begin with the idea of sexual assault: Whose problem is it, exactly? Here at BU, we seem to think sexual assault is a woman’s issue. The Free Press article quotes female students only, referring to a residence meeting wherein “some girls wept” because “it could have happened to any of them.” The report also subtly implies female responsibility when detailing the two previous sexual assault incidents at BU, referring to one student’s attack after drinking at “several fraternity parties” and the other’s after “allowing” the suspect to stay. The BU Police Department and administration aside, the article is void of any male presence or perspective. As I read, I waited for some outrage on the part of BU men. This kind of violent behavior offends and affects us all; it creates an environment of mistrust and fear between the sexes and it encourages harmful stereotypes. Where are the men standing up and saying, “This is unacceptable”?

The Free Press then discusses the Send Word Now emergency system, in place so that “the community” can be notified in case of emergency. I almost laughed: What “community” exists to send word to, exactly, if there aren’t any male students speaking out against sexual assault or demanding better from themselves and our peers? (There were a pathetic few at Take Back the Night last fall.)

“Unity” appears not to be our strong point.

Now, about the BU Administration and the BUPD: While it is commendable to increase security in lobbies, or to encourage students to walk in groups, these measures are merely for show in the face of a crime that is often committed by acquaintances.

Instead of perpetually fostering an atmosphere of fear and insecurity for women here, let’s take a strong offensive approach and begin serious dialogue about sexual assault before an incident takes place. Rather than target our messages to women, let’s instruct men to stop sexual assault at freshman orientation, during resident assistant meetings, and with strong informational messages around campus. Men need to hear that sexual assault is their problem, and that they are obligated to hold each other and themselves to a higher standard of behavior.

As freshmen, we are encouraged to properly “behave” in the academic community — study, pontificate, speak up in class — and BU likewise hammers into us that drinking, drugs and defenestration will be our ultimate demise. Doesn’t sexual assault — painful incidents of physical violence which often leave lasting psychological scars — deserve a stronger presence in this dialogue? Shouldn’t we demand it for ourselves and our friends?

Boston University as a whole — students, faculty and security alike — needs to consider the real issues of sexual assault. Men can stop sexual assault by allying themselves with women and challenging traditional ideas of masculinity, strength and sexuality. We all need to regard sexual assault as offensive and unacceptable.

Above all else, we must genuinely come together around a strong message: Sexual assault is real violence, and we will not allow it here.

Alexandra Smith

CAS ’08

VOX, Every Person Counts,

The Center for New Words