LETTER: Campus resources are here for those who seek help

On behalf of Every Person Counts, the student organization on campus that promotes gender equality, I send my condolences to all rape and sexual assault victims and survivors. Incidences of sexual assault are tragic, especially in a dorm on campus, a zone of comfort during college. Every Person Counts is not directly involved with the current case of alleged sexual assault that occurred in Warren Towers, but we are hoping the incident raises awareness of this issue on campus — not for the administration, but among students.

This semester, Every Person Counts hopes to help demystify the handling of sexual assault cases by the Boston University administration, and I believe this case will help show students the truth about the administration’s stance on this issue. With the letter sent out by the Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore and BU Police Department Chief Thomas Robbins, it is clear that cases of assault on both males and females are not taken lightly.

Although BU does not have a rape crisis center on campus, the tools necessary to deal with sexual assault are right at our fingertips in Boston. This year, Every Person Counts is working with Elmore to make these resources more accessible to BU students.

During my three years in Every Person Counts, I have found that the BUPD is not given enough credit for its knowledge and management of sexual assault cases. I hope the BUPD’s handling of the current case will help both men and women on campus feel more comfortable about calling BUPD for help.

Most individuals are unaware that one in four students on a college campus will be sexually assaulted during his or her college career. I encourage students to display their support for those who have been sexually assaulted and for Every Person Counts. Starting Oct. 9, Every Person Counts will be hosting events as part of a Sexual Assault Awareness Week. The Howard Thurman Center will display a photography exhibit of survivors, titled Faces of Survivors; the Student Union will host a panel discussion about sexual assault and BU’s alcohol policy; activist group Men Can Stop Rape will offer a workshop in the George Sherman Union Terrace Lounge on Thursday at 6 p.m.; I also hope the Clothesline Project will be on display. I invite students to come to these events and realize the importance of spreading the word to other students about BU policies and the resources available in the case of emergencies.

Alexandra Alderfer

President, Every Person Counts

CAS ’09