LETTER: Brookline residents ask for respect of law, community

I recently read your article “Brookline PD pursuing students” (Oct. 10, p. 1) and would like to respond as follows : What would you do if you were awakened at 1 a.m. on a Sunday morning by a very loud party on your street that had been going on for more than two hours? You have to go to work at 8 a.m. Your wife is trying to sleep beside you; she is pregnant and trying to stay healthy during this time. Before I tell you what I did when this happened to me last week, I’ll add a few more caveats. First, this has happened to my family at least 20 times over the past two years. Second, we were once students as well, so we know what goes on during college and that parties are part of the equation. So here is what I did: I called the police — it really was my only recourse. They responded, they enforced the law and the party ended.

In the article, a Brookline resident is quoted as saying, “police claims that residents are up in arms over student disruptions are overblown.” This is inaccurate and biased because the article do not have a countering quote from another resident who may not feel the same way based on his or her experience.

If I were to offer your publication a countering opinion on this matter, it would be as follows: Many other residents and myself in North Brookline are very upset — “up in arms” if you will — about the excessive noise and disruption we’ve had to put up with over the past few years, much of which is caused by students from Boston University and other local schools. We are simply asking that all residents who live in our neighborhood and community obey the law, respect their neighbors and cooperate with the police, who are doing their jobs to enforce the law.

Michael Busnach

Brookline, MA