ESO proposes Green Fee again

After proposing the optional “Green Fee” at the end of the spring semester, the Environmental Students Organization returned to the Boston University Student Union on Monday night and explained the charge, if adopted, will add $10 to each student’s tuition in an effort to fund sustainability efforts.

The ESO said students could opt out of the fee — much like the sports pass — that would go toward environmental education and outreach projects. The fee could also be used to buy sustainable energy or create a Green Fund for energy-efficient projects, the students said at the General Assembly meeting at the Photonics Center.

“We’ve talked to Dean [of Students Kenneth] Elmore and the administration, and they have put pressure on [the students] to be the leaders of this,” said ESO President Rachel Leone, a College of Arts and Sciences senior. “[The administration] can’t just snap their fingers and say they’re going to buy renewable energy. It has to come from the students.”

Leone presented the fee as a way for the school to improve its environmental image and asked for Union members to help the ESO draft a plan.

Union President Adil Yunis said a proposal would be well-received by students.

“Green initiatives are really important in all different levels,” the CAS senior said. “[The proposal] would help with our tuition. More energy waste causes tuition increases, so we should be more responsible [with energy use].”

Yunis presented another green initiative in the Executive Board report, stating the Union would like to obtain bicycles confiscated by police, repaint them and make them available for students to rent with their school IDs.

The E-Board said it has also met with President Robert Brown to discuss tensions between BU students and Brookline residents, who have complained about their noisy behavior at night.

Academic Affairs Committee Chairman Matt Seidel reported progress on improving academic advising. The committee said it received a positive response when it met with the CAS administration to discuss advising.

“CAS is really taking it seriously,” the CAS sophomore said. “There is a goal in sight, and it’s not some kind of nebulous situation. We will start seeing progress.”

Kaitlin Moran, chairwoman of the School Spirit Committee, announced the Union will help sponsor a concert to benefit relief efforts in San Diego following the recent wildfires.

The Campus Safety Committee will be looking to improve the Escort Security Service and will also talk with the MBTA about safety at public transportation stops, said committee chairman Leo Gameng.

In other business, CAS junior Meredith Reid was confirmed as chairwoman of the Residence Life Committee, and CAS junior Jess Colton was confirmed as an off-campus students’ liaison.