Union backs state bill to aid schools’ rape counseling

The Boston University Student Union is pressing Massachusetts lawmakers to pass a bill that would require state colleges to support student groups that offer help to rape victims, though BU, a private institution, would not be directly affected.

The state Senate bill would create a council that would “provide support” to campus groups looking to help victims of sexual assault.

The Union’s Campus Safety Committee announced it will send letters to politicians and will meet with state senators supporting Bill No. 737, said committee chairman Leo Gameng. The bill, proposed by Sen. Pamela Resor (D-Acton), would establish the council through the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education.

Since September, five females have reported sexual assaults to the BU Police Department. When a visitor to Warren Towers reported she was sexually assaulted in one of the dorm’s bathrooms, many campus groups began discussing rape counseling and other services that are or should be available to victims.

Gameng, a College of Arts and Sciences junior, said BU is not doing enough to make victims of sexual assault or rape feel safe.

“We should be able to get them resources to succeed and be happy at BU,” he said.

Alexandra Alderfer, president of Every Person Counts – formerly the Women’s Center – said the bill, if passed, could successfully unify the policies of all Boston-area schools.

“A lot of schools in Boston have a unique policy with a different approach to the situation,” said Alderfer, a CAS junior, who originally proposed that the Union support the bill. “This would be a good opportunity for all universities to have a more unified policy.”

Having the support of an advisory council could also increase the number of students who feel comfortable reporting rapes and sexual assaults, Alderfer said.

“I think one of the problems now is that there are so many departments involved that it’s hard to have avenues of communication,” she said.

If passed, the council would outline specific steps that institutions must take to support rape and assault victims.

The proposed council would force administrators to be proactive about supporting campus groups like Voices for Choice – a BU group advocating pro-choice – and Every Person Counts, Gameng said.

“I haven’t seen the support groups on campus be able to put things into action, because without administrative support, nothing can happen on this campus,” Gameng said. “By having this council, universities will understand that something needs to be done, because the government is requiring it.”

BU spokesman Colin Riley said the university does not usually comment on proposed bills because it is likely they will be amended through the legislative process before they become law, if they pass. Although the university has not expressed a position on the bill, Riley said the Union has a right and a responsibility to be active on issues the student body deems important.

“The university has a lot of history with dealing very effectively with and providing support for those individuals [affected by rape],” he said.