BU Athletics hands out end of year awards

Approximately 200 Boston University student-athletes, parents, coaches, administrators and alumni gathered on the ninth floor of the School of Management last night for the 2007-08 Student-Athlete Awards Reception.

The event was hosted by senior softball player Molly Gallagher and senior track and field member Andy Beatman, both of whom said they were thrilled to be able to host the reception.

“I was approached by [Director of Student-Athlete Support Services] Phil DeCarlo and he asked me if I would like [to host],” Gallagher said. “It was such a nice honor to be part of such a special event.

“Andy’s just been a friend of mine for a long time, has a great sense of humor and I knew I’d be able to go back and forth with him and not have too much difficulty. I was just really honored to even get the chance to do it.”

“For me, speaking in front of a lot of people is fun,” Beatman said, “especially in front of my fellow student-athletes. Most of them had a lot more success than I did, so to get up there and be the man of the hour was a treat for me.”

Among the big winners for the night were senior hockey player Pete MacArthur and senior field hockey player Pam Spuehler, who took home the Mickey Cochrane and Mildred Barnes Awards, respectively. Both the Cochrane and Barnes Awards are given yearly to the students deemed to be the top athletes at BU regardless of class year.

“It really is an honor,” Spuehler said. “I’m usually pretty modest, but at the same time it really means a lot to me.

“[The reception] is really a great ending to our four years here because everyone knows each other and this might be our last time in the same little area. It’s good to say goodbye and just to see everybody again one last time.”

Those in attendance were welcomed by a brief video highlighting the various sports played at the varsity level on Commonwealth Avenue, and were then greeted by Director of Athletics Mike Lynch.

Lynch pointed out many of the athletic program’s recent successes, namely the five America East championships the Terriers brought to campus during the 2007-08 school year and the individual accomplishments of numerous BU athletes. Lynch also congratulated the athletes on attaining the highest cumulative GPA achieved by BU athletes in over 10 years, and praised members of the athletic community for the hundreds of hours spent working in the community.

Over the course of the night, MVPs from each varsity program were recognized as well as members of the senior class who were presented Scholar-Athlete Awards for achieving success both on the field and in the classroom.

The Campus Community Recognition Award was given to BU alumnus and current Associate Director of Planned Giving David Walko, who has been an important member of the BU athletics community ever since his graduation in 1968. Walko’s latest project, a campaign to honor BU hockey coach Jack Parker, has been a rousing success, as the effort has raised approximately $75,000 from former players, family and friends.

The Gretchen Schuyler and E. Ray Speare Award, presented to senior track and field member Marisa Ryan and senior soccer player Derek Puerta, respectively, are meant to recognize the female and male athletes who best exemplify both on field success and achievement in the classroom.

Ryan, who has already twice been named the America East Women’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year, has not only been among the top performers on the field for the Terriers’ track and field squad, but was also the first student-athlete to ever be accepted in BU’s seven year Liberal Arts/Medical Education Program, having graduated Magna Cum Laude last May with a GPA of 3.78 as an undergraduate.

While Ryan wowed the crowed with her resume, Puerta had to deal with a few light-hearted jabs from his coach Neil Roberts, who claimed to be “surprised” Puerta was up for the award and made a few jokes about Puerta’s vibrant nature.

Puerta, a non-scholarship athlete who achieved a 3.11 cumulative GPA in the College of Communication and has worked his way up to Student Manager of the West Campus dining hall, shrugged off his coach’s prodding, saying he appreciated the nice things Roberts had to say.

Many members of the crowd said they were very happy to see Puerta recognized for his efforts, including both Gallagher and Beatman, both of whom said that of all the athletes honored last night, they were happiest to see Puerta brought up on stage.

“I was definitely honored,” Puerta said. “I would never have really even expected to be considered for this award, never mind winning it, so it’s definitely an honor to be given such an award like this.”

Among the other winners were senior swimmer Greg Dierksen and senior lacrosse player Lauren Morton, who took home the John B. Simpson Awards for showing strong leadership skills both on and off the field. Field hockey senior Sarah Hudak was named the BU Woman of the Year for best exemplifying commitment to service, leadership, athletics and academics during her collegiate career.

In addition to hosting the event, Gallagher also took home the BU Student-Athlete Award, designed to recognize a senior student-athlete who demonstrates a commitment to serving BU, the Athletics Department and the larger Boston community over the course of their collegiate career.