Subway to open in a week

Students looking to lose the “Freshman 15” won’t have to walk far for a healthy lifestyle, after a new Subway restaurant opens under Warren Towers next week.

A new Subway restaurant will open Sept. 15 under Warren Towers, Dining Services Marketing Director Scott Rosario said in an email. Subway, one of three new establishments opening at 700 Commonwealth Ave., was a top restaurant choice on student surveys conducted last May.

“Subway was chosen because its popularity with the BU community, the store layout . . . and the menu,” Rosario said.

The survey, which was open to all BU students, found 45 percent of its participants rated a sandwich concept as their first choice and an overall 64 percent rated it highly.

The construction of the new Subway, which began in July, comes as part of a complete overhaul of the businesses located underneath Warren Towers. Subway will join the recently opened Starbucks and a possible Mexican takeout restaurant in place of the old Ferretti’s sandwich shop, Rosario said.

“This is a good mid-campus option for students looking to grab a sandwich or salad on the go,” he said.

Subway, which will accept Convenience Points, will operate from 10:30 a.m. until midnight, allowing students a restaurant choice with “food offerings for all day parts – from early morning to late night,” Rosario said.

College of Arts and Sciences freshman Sean Danaher said he is pleased with the choice because it offers students healthier food.

“I think it’s good to have some healthy options,” he said. “Late Nite still serves fried food, so students who are not as into healthy food can still get food there.”

CAS sophomore Alex Thornton said she liked the idea of a healthy restaurant on campus, but still misses the old Taco Bell that Starbucks replaced when she gets “the late night munchies for a Crunchwrap Supreme.”

Other students also said it will be hard for Subway to replace the void Taco Bell left when it closed last April.

“I was extremely mad when BU closed Taco Bell because they had great food, and they were open late,” CAS and School of Management junior Matt Alcus said. “I guess Subway is better than nothing.”

Some students said they think the new Subway will be successful because of its convenience.

CAS freshman Miranda Marchese said she thinks Subway’s moderate prices, specifically the $5 foot-long sandwiches, will be BU crowd pleasers.

“Students will like having a popular restaurant that is so close to them,” she said.

While several students said they were aware of Subway’s imminent arrival, just as many said they had not heard it was in the works.

CAS senior Alexander Kaiser, who was among those unaware of Subway’s construction, said he would attribute the restaurant choice to a new trend on campus.

“BU has a generally health-conscious student body,” he said. ‘”So, it seems that the campus is moving in that general direction. Just like Jared.”

Staff reporter Lauren Finch contributed to this article.