National, News

Researches post unzipped genes online

For the first time in scientific history, researchers have posted their complete genetic data online, and Harvard Medical School is pioneering the initiative.
The Personal Genome Project, led by Harvard Medical School geneticist George Church, released the genetic sequencing of its first 10 research participants on the Internet in October.
John Halamka, a project participant, said the sequencing of the full genome can change people’s lifestyles by allowing them to detect genetic predispositions to diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and other medical conditions that, in turn, can lead to better health choices.
‘It’s a matter of medical altruism,’ Halamka said.
In an effort to make genetic sequencing faster, more affordable and available to the public, Church invented a machine called the Polonator G.007, which decodes DNA. He began to build it in the late 1990s and recently started shipping the machine internationally.
‘When I was a teenager, I thought it was interesting to type in sequences and I thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be fun if everyone could see genetic sequences?” Church said.
The Polonator is smaller and four times cheaper than other machines used to decode DNA. Church said the machine is an open source, so anyone is welcome to use it or build something similar.
The price of a complete genetic sequence with the Polonator is $5,000, but Church said he hopes genetic sequencing costs will decline.
The PGP is a private organization sponsored mainly by individuals and their families who participated in the project. Most of the PGP-10 who published their genomes online are researchers participating in the project.
Harvard Medical School spokeswoman Alyssa Kneller said the PGP informs people about privacy risks associated with the project and does not encourage people to post their results online if they are not comfortable.
The PGP believes genetic patterns should be available online to the scientific community and the public for research purposes, according to an Oct. 20 PGP press release.
Boston Biomedical Research Institute senior scientist James Sherley, a participant and investigator in the project, said genetic patterns should be available online for scientific advancement.
‘As a scientist, it’s important to spend some time and effort helping others who want to understand this important research.’