Food, The Muse

Breakfast, lunch and dinner at Tiffany’s

The year 2009 has arrived and with it comes monumental changes for the American people after the progressive political shift that occurred in Washington last month. But what about the stagnancy of other parts of the world? The 2009 Chinese New Year celebration of the year of the ox was commemorated with the new lunar year on January 26th. However, I decided to take the opportunity to shed light on a situation that is ongoing, and has been, at most, quietly discussed. Tibet is currently occupied by the People’s Republic of China and is undergoing a difficult and constant battle to free itself of Chinese political influence. There is alleged torture of civilians, especially targeting monks, by the residing Chinese forces, with over 1,000 people reported missing.

Because I religiously order take-out ‘-‘- especially when I feel the effects of the ever-looming student time budget ‘-‘-‘ I thought I’d to forego my usual Chinese food and pay my respects to Tibet with a meal from Tashi Delek, a Tibetan restaurant conveniently located in Brookline.

I anticipated strong similarities to Chinese and Indian fare, and was proven correct. The seemingly infinite menu offered familiar dishes, such as beef wonton soup, myriad curry and rice combinations and spicy shrimp in lemongrass sauce. I was disappointed not to find yak meat as an option, but it was quickly forgotten after I browsed through the selection of momo ‘-‘- doughy dumplings with various filling options, both vegetarian and meat, and a known staple to Tibetan fare. I opted for the sha bhaley, four enormous pan-fried patties filled with beef, cabbage, onion and ginger ($14). They came delicately braided and had a dual texture ‘-‘- a crispy outer layer of flaky dough with a sticky, soft center. The flavor of the ground beef was very strong, and the ginger was missed, but I still finished the entire dish. I regretted not ordering the chura-momo, which, according to the menu, are ‘handmade dumplings filled with ricotta cheese and spinach, very popular among the monks’ ($15).

The drumming of hail and rain reminded me of how abominable the conditions were outside, so I decided that a soup or stew was absolutely necessary. I ordered the drothuk, a savory oatmeal soup with meat and spinach. For only $5, it was a generous portion and the hearty oatmeal and broth had the consistency of porridge. The chunks of meat were lean and the spinach was flavorful and fresh. As my entr’eacute;e, I opted for the well-known sweet and sour chicken ($14). It was an enormous portion and came spicy. The large, succulent pieces of meat were very lightly coated with batter and a thin sweet sauce, less heavy than the deep-fried and syrupy variation which I’ve experienced with my go-to Chinese take-out locale. The dish came with an abundant side of fluffy white rice. For dessert I had the deysee, sweet rice with raisins and nuts ($3.50). The flavors of India prevailed here through the delicious combination of cardamom and cinnamon laced with coconut milk. Although the entr’eacute;es seemed pricier than the usual quick Chinese specials, the portions were big enough to share with another, which split the cost but kept the healthy flavors.

While I wouldn’t abandon my favorite Chinese take-out, it is important to understand that there are other options just as satisfying and wallet-friendly, and perhaps peppered with a bit of activism.