Late Nite delivers to dorm room doors

Boston University students who want to enjoy Late Nite Caf’eacute;’s fried delicacies without leaving the (dis)comfort of their dorm-issue extra-long twin beds can now indulge their fatty fantasies. That’s right: some Late Nite Cafes are now offering kitchen to dorm room delivery service.

Late Nite delivery began Feb. 9 and is currently only on a trial basis in Myles Standish Hall, The Towers and West Campus, Lentz Francois, Towers Late Nite supervisor, said. The three dining halls deliver within the buildings and students must order a minimum of $7 of food by phone in order to get the service, he said.

BU Dining Services had discussed the delivery option at meetings for about four months, Francois said.

‘It was just an idea we came up with in management,’ he said. ‘It’s another way of providing good service for students.’

Towers Late Nite employee Rafaella Goldsmith said she has only delivered twice so far and the service ‘is not as popular as we thought.’

Goldsmith, a College of Arts and Sciences freshman, said Towers receives about six delivery orders a night.

Samuel Chang, a Towers resident, said he has not used the delivery service because ‘it’s not too hard to walk down here and get food.

‘It’s convenient, but I personally wouldn’t use it because of the minimum charge,’ he said.

Chang, a CAS sophomore, said he does not think delivering food to places such as Bay State would be a good idea.

‘I don’t know how convenient that would be because the food would get cold,’ he said. ‘People from Bay State could just eat their food here.’

School of Management junior Amanda Kwan said she does not think Late Nite did a good job advertising the delivery service. She called for a delivery to her brownstone residence because she was unaware deliveries were only within the dorm buildings, she said.

‘I only heard about it from word of mouth really,’ Kwan said. ‘They didn’t publicize it enough.

‘If they delivered, I would be more apt to get something,’ she said.

CAS freshman Kacey Tovornik said she does not think the delivery service is necessary.

‘I think it’s just enabling the students to be lazy,’ she said.

CAS freshman Ryan Taylor said he thinks Late Nite is trying to get more money by requiring delivery orders to be a minimum of $7.

‘They have it because they want people to buy more, but I don’t think I would buy more,’ he said. ‘I don’t see them generating that much of a profit.’

Francois said he thinks students will use the delivery service more often when it gets closer to midterms and finals.

‘I think it’s a good idea, especially when finals come around and instead of leaving their studies and getting distracted, they can get it delivered,’ he said.

Dining Services spokesman Scott Rosario was unavailable for comment at press time.

Staff writer Jackie Reiss contributed to reporting of this article.