UBurger bites into West Campus

Despite the blistering cold winds whipping through West Campus, School of Management freshman Christian Hoechst left the comfort of his room in Rich Hall for a warm, meaty burger from UBurger on Friday.

That trek used to be daunting, with UBurger located all the way across campus in Kenmore Square, but UBurger’s new location in West Campus made the journey much easier.

West Campus UBurger lovers can now enjoy their ‘yuppie burger,’ fries and frappes on their side of campus with the opening of the burger-joint’s new location next door to T. Anthony’s Pizzeria on Commonwealth Avenue last week.

UBurger founders Nick Kesaris and Spiro Kouvlis said because the Kenmore location was so successful, they have taken the financial risk, despite economic uncertainty, and expanded the burger-centric restaurant. Kesaris, a BU alumnus, and Kouvlis opened their first franchise in October 2006.

‘We’d be nervous about opening any restaurant, good economy or not,’ Kouvlis said.

Kouvlis said, so far, the new location is doing well, and business is growing as word spreads about the new location.

‘A lot of people are walking by and seeing that we’re open,’ Kouvlis said. ‘It’s more word of mouth, but business is definitely picking up.’

Kouvlis said he was optimistic that UBurger’s new location would be successful despite its proximity to T. Anthony’s, a popular late-night spot for students.

‘We’re pretty confident we won’t do so bad,’ Kouvlis said. ‘We’ve already established a good name.’

T. Anthony’s Manager Joe Rascellini said he thinks the restaurants can coexist.

‘People can choose to come here, or go there,’ Rascellini said. ‘UBurger has a good product, and I think they’ll do fine.’

UBurger employee Olivia Schuyler said she does not think the recession will negatively impact sales.

‘UBurger is an inexpensive place to eat, so I think people will keep coming here,’ Schuyler said.

UBurger currently closes at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays but may remain open until two on weekends, Kouvlis said. The owners are also considering a third location on Northeastern University’s campus on Huntington Avenue depending on how well UBurger’s second restaurant does.

SMG sophomore Khaled Jalanbo said he is excited about UBurger’s new location.

‘The staff is friendly, and they get to know you if you come in a lot, so it’s really personal,’ Jalanbo said. ‘Plus, their burgers are second to none.’

Kouvlis said he thinks UBurger appeals to families as well as college students.

‘It’s quick and easy,’ Kouvlis said. ‘For families with children, burgers and fries are always a good way to get kids to eat. Plus, it’s better than going to Burger King or McDonald’s since it’s healthier.’

BU alumnus Eric Faley and his nine-year-old twin sons Ryan and Tim said they enjoy UBurger because of its friendly atmosphere and great food.

‘I like the French fries because they’re crunchy and don’t get soggy when you put them in ketchup,’ Tim said.

Hoechst said he could not be happier about the new UBurger location.

‘I don’t think I’m eating anywhere else ever again,’ Hoechst said.