Nonprofit for pay attractive in economic slump

Fewer nonprofit employers turned out for this year’s Nonprofit Career Fair at the George Sherman Union Tuesday, a sign of a more sparse and competitive job market, organizers said.

More than 130 organizations in fields such as education, politics and religion boasted their full-time, part-time, volunteer and internship opportunities in Metcalf Ballroom. About 50 fewer organizations than last year participated, Joe Grant, who planned the Idealist.com-hosted fair, said.

Grant, the non-profit human resources program coordinator for the site, which touts community improvement under the umbrella of Action Without Borders, said he attributed the decreased number of employers to the recession. Although fewer employers were at the fair, about the same number of job seekers attended, meaning competition in the nonprofit field will grow ever more fierce.

‘It is going to be much more competitive for the job seekers,’ Grant said. ‘We estimate to still have just over 2,500 job seekers [in attendance], if not even more.’

Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers Workforce Development Manager Janice Brathwaite agreed that this year will be far more competitive for’ nonprofit job applicants.

‘This year, we’ve already doubled the number of applications,’ Braithwaite said.’ ‘It seems like many more people are interested in working for us.’

Brathwate said she thinks the increase in applicants reflects a combination of the current economy and generational preferences.

‘Of course, with the economy the way it is, people are looking for jobs wherever they can,’ she said. ‘But I also think that people want to be dedicated to doing something for the betterment of society.’

College of Arts and Sciences senior Matthew Toulme said he thinks he would be a good fit in a nonprofit organization and is interested in taking part in AmeriCorps, an organization that places participants in a community to serve and earn work experience.

‘I think nonprofit organizations are most up my alley in what I want to accomplish,’ Toulme said. ‘If I thought there was more public good in a career in the private sector, then that is what I would be pursuing, but right now I think the best way to accomplish something is through these nonprofit organizations.’

CAS senior Dana Ruzicka, who is currently an intern for the William J. Clinton Foundation, an organization that seeks to solve issues associated with climate change, education, global health and poverty, said she wants to learn more about other nonprofits and is interested in a global health career.

‘I believe that working with a nonprofit organization will help me learn the structure of an organization and how it works, which will be a valuable asset for future careers,’ Ruzicka said.

Students should take job opportunities seriously, especially if they’re interested in a particular nonprofit’s issue, BU Career Services General Placement Counselor Peter Waelsch said.

‘With the economy the way it is today, students ‘-‘- and really all job seekers ‘-‘- need to be extremely flexible and should consider careers working for nonprofits,’ Waelsch said.