Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: More meatless meals a must

I would like to compliment Ms. Roshan and other students for speaking out about the lack of meatless options available at Boston University (‘Vegetarian options bland as tofu, students say,’ March 24). Vegetarian options are more popular than ever, particularly among college students, for reasons ranging from health and environmental concerns to the clear cruelty to animals involved in raising and killing them for food. In fact, a recent study by Aramark, a leading food service provider, concluded that nearly one in four college students are actively seeking vegan options when they sit down to eat.’ For the university to disregard the concerns of that large a segment of their student body would be a regrettable error on its part.

Most students are horrified to discover that chickens have their beaks sliced off when they’re only days old or that many cows and pigs are skinned and dismembered while still fully conscious. If these kinds of abuses were inflicted upon cats or dogs, it would result in felony cruelty to animals charges. Yet these practices are standard in an industry that refuses to make even the most basic improvements in the way animals are treated.

Thankfully, with so many delicious and cruelty-free dishes such as vegetarian barbeque ‘riblets’ and vegan pizza available at most grocery stores, and with chain restaurants like Burger King and Ruby Tuesday’s adding delicious vegetarian and vegan dishes to their menus, it’s never been easier to boycott this kind of cruelty.’ Hopefully Dining Services will follow suit as well.

Ryan Huling

College Campaign Coordinator,

peta2.com