Officials expect high summer turnout

Boston University officials do not expect the economic recession to affect enrollment for the 2009 summer terms, but more students have been applying for financial assistance this year than in previous years, officials said.’

Summer term 2009 registration began last month, and 5,141 students have enrolled so far, BU Summer Term Assistant Dean and Director Donna Shea said. Despite the recession, Shea said BU still expects more than 11,000 students for the start of classes in May.

‘I think that more students might want to come to summer term this year,’ Shea said. ‘Yet in a struggling economy, it is more difficult to afford the tuition to pay for summer courses, so it is hard to know which will prevail.’

Shea said she does not think enrollment will exceed last year’s, not only because of the economy, but because BU experienced a record high level of enrollment last summer with 11,422 students.

‘It might be hard to duplicate those numbers again,’ Shea said.

College of Arts and Science freshman Ben Fox said he does not think the economy will have a strong influence on summer enrollment.

‘Summer term is cheaper, if anything,’ Fox said.

BU offers two six-week summer terms per summer. Undergraduate summer courses cost $515 per credit, and most classes are four credits each.

Part-time tuition will cost $1,184 per credit for the 2009-10 academic year. Tuition for the 2009-10 school year is $37,910 which is about $1,185 per credit if the student enrolls in four classes each semester. At four credits per class, a student can save about $2,679 for each class they take.

CAS freshman Ben Rothman said everyone on his floor plans to take summer term courses, so he does not think the economy is affecting enrollment.

‘I can’t even name someone who’s not [doing summer term],’ he’ said. ‘ ‘ ‘

College of Communication freshman Belen Cusi said summer term offers many advantages that regular fall and spring semesters do not offer.

‘Summer term tuition is much lower than normal tuition, so if you plan right, you can essentially save money by taking the right courses and graduate up to a year early,’ Cusi said.

However, Cusi said she thinks the economy could still affect enrollment due to its short-term financial consequences.

‘Even if it saves money in the long run, families that have been hit by the recession might not want to spend money right now,’ Cusi said.

CAS freshman Oriana Zoghbi said people will want to save money over the summer.

‘Not only is the economy bad, but Boston University’s tuition and housing prices have risen for the next academic year,’ Zoghbi said.

Zoghbi, a pre-medical student, said she chose to take summer term courses because next semester she has to take biology, chemistry and math.

‘The summer term allows me to balance my workload,’ Zoghbi said.

Shea said it is not uncommon for students to take summer courses to avoid taking two especially difficult courses at the same time during the regular academic year.

‘At the undergraduate level, enrollment in math and science courses has been especially strong,’ Shea said.