Students celebrate Easter away from home

College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Lincoln Waller usually celebrates Easter with his family by attending the sunrise church service, but this year was different.’

‘Home, North Carolina, is too far to go for the weekend, unfortunately,’ Waller said.

Thus was the case for many students celebrating Easter on Sunday at Boston University, where 80 percent of students are from out of state, according to collegeboard.com. BU holds classes on Good Friday, and many students said they find it difficult to go home for the holiday, regardless of whether they are local.

School of Management senior Ana Rodriguez said she could not go home to Puerto Rico, where Easter is a ‘big deal’ in her family for religious and social reasons.’

She said she was disappointed to be away from home and unable to spend time with her extended family during the holiday, but staying on campus for academics outweighed her desire to go home.’ ‘

For Christians, Easter is the celebration of Jesus Christ’s resurrection from the dead after his crucifixion. The holiday is also celebrated by non-Christians with traditions such as the Easter Bunny, who brings treats to children indiscriminate of religion, and Easter egg hunts.’

Easter is one of the more popular Christian holidays for non-regular churchgoers, Campus Minister Todd Williams said.’

‘Easter’s big,’ Williams said. ‘Even people who don’t go to church regularly will go on Easter.’

Marsh Chapel and the BU Catholic Center offered a number of services during holy week, including Easter Vigil services Saturday night at both locations and sunrise service Easter Sunday at Marsh Chapel.’ ‘

But for CAS freshman Duney Roberts, who was unable to go home to Los Angles, Easter is more of a secular holiday, he said. Like most BU students, however, family is an important part of the holiday.’

‘We usually go out to brunch at the Hyatt or someplace similar,’ Roberts said. ‘And afterwards the whole family would go to my grandparents’ house. It’s a fun time I get to spend with my family.’