BPL talk highlights hunger issues

Individuals can help eliminate the strife caused by unequal food distribution in the world, Brandeis University anthropology professor Ellen Messer told about 30 people at the’ Boston Public Library Tuesday night.

The group discussed the challenges presented by the global food crisis as part of a free monthly lecture series called ‘Great Decisions,’ a national civic education program run by the Foreign Policy Association and WorldBoston. The FPA chose the food crisis as one of eight topics to highlight in similar forums across the country.

Messer, who specializes in hunger issues, led the discussion using examples of riots and coups caused by hunger in 17 percent of the world, including countries such as Haiti. Access, income and distribution affect who goes hungry and often contribute to political unrest and instability, she said.

‘There is more than enough food to adequately feed everyone, but this is not stressed enough,’ Messer said.

Messer said individual actions are just as important as government actions. People should become informed, volunteer to fight hunger in the community and encourage reform in U.S. food assistance policy, she said.

Ilya Lozovsky, program coordinator of WorldBoston, a nonprofit organization dedicated to public discourse, said the presentation was done in an impartial and intellectual manner.

‘I liked this presentation because it was not the typical ‘change the world’ message,’ Lozovsky said. ‘She encouraged people to get involved . . . and it avoided preachiness.’

Attendee Harriet Golden said she appreciated how Messer linked food issues to political challenges.

‘We always list food, water and shelter as basic necessities,’ Golden said. ‘So we know that if people are hungry, people sometimes cross lines.’

Golden said hunger issues could affect international politics in the future.

‘I think some of these problems will impact the politics and power of different countries,’ she said. ‘This is not just a local problem. It is a national and an international problem.’

Cecilia Lalama, a Boston University academic counselor, said she now plans to become a member of WorldBoston.

‘I think it is important to gather as a community,’ Lalama said. ‘Not just to discuss local issues, but to discuss events that reach beyond our community in an intellectual way.’

The discussion was successful in bringing something new to BPL, Lozovsky said.

‘The idea of these events is to get people in the community interested,’ Lozovsky said. ‘This is not something people expect from the Boston Public Library.’