Boston readies for Boston Marathon

The Boston Marathon is set to take over the city Monday, and although many Boston University students will relax on the day off, local businesses and event planners are just warming up for the race.

Spanning 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to downtown Boston, the marathon requires as much coordination and preparation as the runners do training, Boston Athletic Association spokesman Jack Fleming said.’

Ensuring roads are blocked off and enough emergency personnel and police are available is a comprehensive process, Fleming said.

‘The marathon is a 12-month, 365-day project for the city of Boston,’ he said.

Fleming said the BAA, a nonprofit organization, works with 20 corporate sponsors to help offset the cost of the event. The John Hancock insurance company, the marathon’s principal sponsor for 24 years, will provide the $575,000 prize to the winning runner this year.

Managers of businesses along the marathon route said they are also preparing for the weekend.

Frank Abebe, the general manager of the 7-Eleven on Park Drive, said marathon weekend is not exceptionally wild for the convenience store’s business.

‘We will have a few extra staff working for us just in case,’ he said. ‘But usually things don’t get too out of control.’

Due to the partying that accompanies the marathon, Christopher McDaniel, the general manager of Blanchard’s Liquors in Allston said even though the marathon is not essential to the success of his business, he expects a little extra traffic.

‘We usually get a little boost out of this weekend, but nothing spectacular,’ he said. ‘We will definitely have extra staff working here throughout the weekend to keep up with the demand.’

BU students said they were looking forward to marathon weekend and the festivities it entails.

College of Engineering freshman Trung De Sa said he is running in the marathon.

‘I mainly want to do it to prove to myself I can do it and to build up my resume,’ De Sa said. ‘I’m shooting for a time under 3 hours and 10 minutes.’

‘It sounds like a lot of fun and it coincides with 4/20 this year too,’ College of Arts and Sciences freshman Dorothy Filiotis said. ‘I’ll definitely drink a little and I’ll go down to Kenmore to see the runners go by.’

College of General Studies freshman Chris Connolly said he is excited for the marathon, but he does not know exactly what to expect.

‘I don’t plan on drinking, but I’ve heard a lot of stories,’ he said. ‘I’m going to go down to Kenmore to watch the runners go by and then just see what my friends are up to.’

De Sa said he would load up on carbohydrates before the marathon and enjoy his respite after he crosses the finish line.

‘When I finish I’ll probably go back to my dorm for a nice long nap,’ he said.