Gay rights activists protest inequalities on tax-filing day

Tricorn hats and colonial garb graced Boston Harbor’ once again as activists staged a reinterpretation of the Boston Tea Party’ Wednesday. The protesters threw boxes of tea, labeled ‘1040EZ’ and ‘Tax Forms,’ to protest what they say is unfair taxation of same-sex couples.

‘ The protest, organized by gay-rights group Join the Impact Massachusetts, was one of 75 across the nation coinciding with the federal deadline to file income tax returns. More than 40 people attended and joined the rally calling, ‘Equal taxes, equal rights.’

‘ Many of the issues that provoked the colonists’ historic act of rebellion in 1773 parallel tax discrimination same-sex couples in Massachusetts face today, protesters said.

‘ ‘I got married to my partner in 2005, but today I have to file ‘single’ on my federal taxes,’ JTI-MA co-chairwoman Lisa Marshall said. ‘That discrepancy is ridiculous.’

‘ While she can file ‘married’ on her state taxes, the federal government does not recognize same-sex couples, she said.

Roslindale resident Kimberly Shew said she feels like a liar every year on her federal tax form.

‘I always annotate the ‘single’ box with an asterisk that denotes I was married in Toronto in 2004,’ she said. ‘A lot of people have no idea our federal forms are still different from our Massachusetts state forms. I end up doing a lot of education for my straight friends.’

Tuft University freshman David Gennert said he never realized this inequality existed until hearing about the tea party.

‘This is a humorous and really enjoyable way to make fun of an outdated system,’ he said. ‘Hopefully I can become more of an activist in the future, especially with informing others about these issues.’

This was the first Boston Tea Party-style protest, JTI-MA co-chairman Paul Sousa said. The group gathered support through a Facebook event, gay bloggers and emails sent by other gay-rights groups.’

After the reenactment, many of the activists distributed literature about inequalities and national gay issues such as ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ and the Defense of Marriage Act at the nearby Fort Point Post Office.

‘I think across the U.S. when you have a right, you do not have to think about it,’ Blaise Freeman, a self-proclaimed ‘straight’ ally, said.

‘I want people to give up their complacency and realize that these are not special rights we are asking for, just the same rights that straight couples have,’ he said.

Brookline High School Gay-Straight Alliance President Daphna Gall, who distributed pamphlets she designed for the rally, said Boston’s unique character added to the demonstration.

‘I think we used Boston’s historic and present identity, especially with taxes, to express the issue in a fun way,’ she said.

Although gay marriage is legal in Massachusetts, there are still important messages to get across, she said. In addition to the federal tax issue, she said the movement needs to push for more rights in other states.

‘I think in this region, people don’t realize how much more needs to be done,’ she said, ‘We have to try to get some of these other issues on other people’s consciousness.’