Rangers sign Gilroy to two-year deal

Matt Gilroy will be heading home to New York next season to make the next step in his hockey career.

One week after winning the Hobey Baker Award as the nation’s top college hockey player, the Boston University senior defenseman signed a free-agent deal Friday to join the New York Rangers, according to ESPN.com. The deal is reportedly worth $3.5 million over two years.

Gilroy, a native of North Bellmore, N.Y., turned down two dozen offers to sign pro contracts after his junior year, returning to BU to finish his college career. He capped off his time as a Terrier with a 37-point season, good for second in the nation among defensemen, and was an All-American for the third time.

One night after winning the Hobey Baker Award, Gilroy helped BU overcome a two-goal deficit in the final minute of the NCAA championship game to defeat Miami University, 4-3, in overtime. Fans will be left with the indelible image of Gilroy setting up sophomore Nick Bonino for the tying goal with 17.4 seconds to go in regulation after sending a Miami player flying by with a shot fake.

Gilroy is the second Terrier to announce his NHL intentions, after sophomore center Colin Wilson signed a three-year entry-level contract with the Nashville Predators earlier in the day. He will not be allowed to join the Rangers for their playoff run, but will be a strong candidate to earn a spot on the 2009-10 roster.