Not guilty plea entered for alleged ‘Craigslist killer’ Markoff; held without bail

A not guilty plea was entered on behalf of Philip Markoff, the second-year Boston University School of Medicine student arrested Monday evening on charges of murder, kidnapping and armed robbery, at his arraignment at Boston Municipal Court Tuesday morning.

Markoff, 22 of Quincy, will be held without bail for the alleged murder of 26-year-old Julissa Brisman at the Copley Marriot Hotel April 14. Brisman, who was advertised as a masseuse on Craigslist, was shot twice in the chest and once in the hip, Suffolk Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Hickman said at the arraignment.

Markoff was also charged with the armed robbery and kidnapping of another victim, this one advertised on Craigslist as a prostitute, at the Westin Copley Place on April 10. He faces an additional $250,000 for kidnapping charges.

Prosecutors said police found a semi-automatic firearm, ammunition and plastic zip ties similar to the ones used to bind the first victim and found at the scene of Brisman’s murder in his Quincy house last night.

A pretrial hearing will take place May 21 in Boston Municipal Court.