Students walk, run at BU’s first annual Relay for Life

Wearing purple for cancer awareness, Boston University students fought for a cause this weekend while marathon parties swept the city.

Nine hundred and fifty-seven participants camped at the Track and Tennis Center Saturday night for BU’s first annual Relay for Life. Participants walked and ran around the track for 12 hours to support cancer research for the American Cancer Society.

‘The American Cancer Society does research for all cancer, not just specialized types,’ Allie Trodella, a College of Arts and Sciences senior and one of four Relay for Life student organizers, said. The ACS contacted her last year to introduce Relay for Life to BU.

‘We’ve been working on this since October and it’s finally here,’ she said. ‘We came in at noon to set up the registration tables, food and camp sites.’

Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore kicked off the event and walked a few laps before BU students and faculty joined others in the Boston community in activities such as scavenger hunts and ice cream-eating contests.’

Organizers encouraged each participant to raise $100, but most raised more.’ BU’s 120 teams collectively raised $80,000. Teams hosted bake sales and sent out Facebook messages asking for donations to fundraise.

‘ ‘It’s worth spending a Saturday night here because it is such a great cause,’ Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitations sophomore Christy Crow said. ‘Plus it’s a ton of fun.”

Crow’s 13-student team raised over $1,500.

‘Relay for Life is a well-known cause and people are willing to donate time and money to promote research for cancer,’ Crow said.

In past years, BU students participated in Harvard’s All Campus Relay for Life, which is open to all students in the city of Boston.’ This year the BU chapter of Colleges Against Cancer organized its own Relay for Life.

College of Communication junior Chelsea Alexander, who attended Harvard All Campus last year, said BU’s event was just as successful.

‘Harvard All Campus is very similar to BU’s Relay for Life, but much smaller,’ she said.’ ‘BU’s first turn out is huge.’

Participants placed candles in paper bags during the Luminaria Ceremony to celebrate and remember loved ones battling cancer.

School of Management junior Kaitlyn Turner said she participates in Relay for Life to honor her grandfather, a lung cancer victim.’

‘The luminaria lighting is a meaningful experience for me,’ she said. ‘I remember my grandfather and others who are affected by cancer.’

The cancer survivors shared stories throughout the event and completed a lap around the track together while participants cheered them on.

College of General Studies sophomore Terry Sall said the cause was worthwhile.’

‘It shows the dedication and commitment of college kids to help with a great cause like Relay for Life,’ he said. ‘I wouldn’t have my Saturday night any other way.’