Students ‘shocked’ by suspect’s ID

Boston University students and administrators said they were alarmed to find out that the ‘Craigslist killer’ is allegedly a BU student.

‘My dad freaked out and was like, are you sure you still want to go to BU?’ Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences freshman Casi Pasquirell said. ‘I told him it’s a little too late for that.’

School of Medicine student Philip Markoff was arrested and charged Monday with the April 14 murder of Julissa Brisman, a masseuse advertising her services on Craigslist.

A MED student who declined to give his name said he received an email from MED Dean and BU Medical Campus Provost Karen Antman advising students not to comment to the media about the situation.

But a seven-year medical student, who wished to remain anonymous, said in an email that he had not received this advisory email.

‘I did not know Markoff at all,’ he said. ‘I think the case is strange, I don’t fully understand all aspects of it. Most students are simply in shock at this point.’

BU 2007 alumna Donna Oddo, who lives in the same Quincy apartment building as Markoff, said in an email the news was surprising.

‘I have talked to some of my neighbors and everyone is just shocked,’ Oddo said.’ ‘It is unnerving to know that he lived there, since this is a nice community with young families . . . It is really surprising, and it has made some people feel uncomfortable.’

Some students said they were surprised to learn about the alleged crime from news sources rather than from BU.

‘I didn’t even hear about it from BU, my mom told me,’ College of Engineering freshman Joey Greenspun said. ‘That was the most shocking thing, that I didn’t find out from BU.’

But Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore said because the health and safety of the campus community remains a priority, BU officials suspended Markoff.

‘We made a determination that we were going to issue a suspension,’ Elmore said. ‘The allegations are so serious, we had to determine if there was a community safety issue.’

Some students said the nature of the crime may deter them from revealing too much online in the future.

‘I barely use Craigslist because I know it’s sketchy,’ College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Allison Song said. ‘Obviously, I will keep my information private if I use it in the future.’

Elmore said everyone must be cautious when revealing information online.

‘We’ll ask all of you to think twice how we use the Internet,’ Elmore said. ‘Use judgment.’ Think twice. Be mindful that there are people that are looking to take advantage of you.’