City Council asks BRA to clarify budget

The Boston City Council charged the Boston Redevelopment Authority Wednesday with the task of accounting for funds that may have been lost or excessively spent, hindering the BRA from completing its projects around the city.’

City representatives addressed concerns about the BRA’s general funding and called for greater accountability and responsibility in spending. Since 1960, the BRA’s responsibilities have included reviewing proposed development projects, owning and operating three industrial parks and designing master plans to improve the city’s infrastructure and economic development, according to its website.

BRA Director John F. Palmieri said the organization expects a deficit, as its budget is currently $17 million, but the projected revenue for this year is only $16 million.’

‘We may be looking at a shortfall of a couple million dollars [in the coming years],’ he said. ‘We’ll do our best [to manage the budget].’

Palmieri said serious cuts exceeding $1 million, including a hiring freeze and cuts on supplies and services, have already been put into effect, but are not enough to satisfy the BRA’s operating demand.

BRA Engineering and Facilities Management Director Larry Mammoli said the BRA is awaiting city and state funding for upcoming projects such as rail system improvements and energy conservation projects in industrial parks.

City Councilors said they were concerned about the BRA’s spending and practices.

City Councilor-At-Large Sam Yoon said transparency in accounting and land use is necessary.

‘If there’s any a time we need that full disclosure, that is now,’ he said.

Yoon, who is running for mayor, also said there’s a disconnect in community funds and the BRA should communicate directly with the communities affected by its decisions.

‘There has to be some uniform policy,’ he said. ‘I’d like to know what the general policy is.”

Palmieri said he would get back to the councilor on when he could deliver the information the councilors requested.

Mammoli told City Councilor-At-Large Michael Flaherty, also a candidate for mayor, that the $800,000 allocated for the investigation for the possible relocation of City Hall to the South Boston waterfront seemed to have been misplaced, though not spent. Mammoli said the money was not given to the BRA to spend.

‘$800,000 can go a long way,’ Flaherty said. ‘Those dollars need to be recovered. They need to be accounted for.’

Flaherty said he wanted to see results from unfinished city investments. Such results include addressing holes in the $17 million budget left by unfinished projects and developments and unaccountable spending.

Flaherty additionally cited $6.8 million for repairs and $1.2 million for windows and roof replacement for the zone A-1 police department in downtown Boston. He said these budget gaps are unacceptable.

Palmieri said it is unfair to suggest the money is gone and he is confident in BRA investments, such as green job creation and green technologies, that will help alleviate the recession.

‘This is real dough in an economic downturn when people are getting pink slips,’ Flaherty said.