Myles mishap traps two in elevator

Two Boston University students were trapped in a Myles Standish Hall elevator for almost an hour Sunday night.

BU Police Department officers and the Boston Fire Department responded at 8:12 p.m., BUPD Training Sgt. Robert Casey said

College of Engineering freshmen Chris Hatem and Masaru Ichihara were going up to their rooms on the seventh floor at 8:10 p.m. when the elevator ‘abruptly stopped,’ and Hatem called the BU non-emergency number, he said.

‘There were firefighters there within 20 minutes,’ he said. ‘The firefighters came and apparently broke the apparatus that the elevator needs to get us out.’

Hatem said they were in the elevator for ‘probably 50 minutes,’ but Ichihara said they were out at 8:45 p.m. Casey said ‘persons were released’ at 8:45 p.m.

‘It took maybe 20 minutes to open the door,’ Ichihara said. ‘We had to climb out.’

Hatem said a BUPD officer on scene, who refused to give his name for policy reasons, acknowledged the malfunction to age.

‘The police officer said, ‘It’s probably because they’re a million years old,” he said.

The elevator inspection certificates in Myles do not expire until June 9.

Staff writer Ellie Choi contributed to the reporting of this story.