Dining Services cuts bonuses

Boston University Dining Services employees will be seeing the effects of the recession firsthand on some of their future paychecks. A letter sent out Monday to Dining Services student employees told them they would no longer be receiving bonuses as of July 1.

The letter, from Dining Services Human Resources Manager Meghan King, cited ‘the current economic climate’ as the motivation behind the cut.

‘We understand that this was a great incentive for many that have worked with us over the years, but we do hope that you can appreciate our reasoning,’ the letter said.

College of Communication junior Chetara Rippett, who works at West Campus’ Late Nite Caf’eacute;, said she was not surprised by the news.

‘They’ve already stopped giving us raises at the end of each semester,’ she said. ‘So this is another cut that they’ve had to make.’

Rippett said employees will still receive end-of-year raises, and the lack of bonuses will not deter her from continuing work next year.

‘I’ve been there for three years at this point, and they’re getting very generous with their pay already,’ she said. ‘For the work that I do, it’s very good pay.’

Titilayo Fashemi, who is employed by Catering on the Charles, said she was ‘surprised’ by the news.

‘I like the whole bonus thing,’ she said. ‘It made me like my job.’

Fashemi, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Metropolitan College, said she has worked for Catering on the Charles since her first day at BU and has received several different types of bonuses during her employment. She said she will return to work next year.

‘I really like the job and the environment,’ she said. ‘Other jobs on campus pay less and it’s a really friendly place to work, and you meet a lot of nice people.’

School of Management junior Matthew Mintz, who also works at Late Nite in West Campus, said he would lose about $200 in bonuses, which he said was ‘unfortunate, but it’s not the end of the world.’

‘They’re going to continue to give you a raise, but not a bonus,’ he said. ‘It wouldn’t deter me from working there next year.’

Mintz said there are three types of bonuses employees can receive, mostly ranging $50 to $100: hourly bonuses for working during finals week, ‘coming back’ bonuses for employees returning to work at the beginning of a new semester and referral bonuses for recommending a friend to the job.

Mintz said many employees are not aware of the hourly bonus.

‘Most of the employees are new to the dining hall, and [Dining Services] doesn’t hold on to employees very well,’ he said.

As for the ‘coming back’ bonus, he said it would only deter employees from working during finals week.

‘I don’t see the loss of $100 being a reason from stopping anyone from working next year,’ he said.

Staff writers Ellie Choi and Jamie Lutz contributed reporting to this article.