City, Finance & Economy, National, News

Economic woes plague city, state, Boston Globe

The economic downturn plaguing the American economy has also spawned major issues that Boston has dealt with over the past four months, including a state and city-wide budget deficit, a clash between two neighborhoods and a historic newspaper with its head on the chopping block.

THE GLOBE

The Boston Globe, New England’s most widely circulated newspaper, faces possible closure in two days time as its owner, The New York Times Co., pressures the Globe’s unions to concede to $20 million in cuts by May 1.’ ‘

After losing $50 million in 2008, The Globe is expected to lose another $85 million by the end of this year, contributing to a total of $1.1 billion in debt for Times Co., according to Boston.com.

Hundreds of supporters and employees of The Globe rallied at Faneuil Hall Friday afternoon in an effort to save the paper.’ ‘

Boston Newspaper Guild President Daniel Totten said The Globe is an integral part of New England.

‘The Boston Globe is far too important to life in New England,’ he said, according to an April 27 Daily Free Press article. ‘It remains in Boston, and it belongs in Boston.’

MARKOFF

The April 20 arrest of second-year Boston University School of Medicine student Philip Markoff on suspicion of murder, kidnapping and armed robbery instigated a flood of speculation and media scrutiny both on and off the BU campus.

Markoff, 23, was charged with the April 14 murder of Julissa Brisman at the Copley Marriott Hotel and the April 10 armed robbery and kidnapping of another victim at the Westin Copley Place. Markoff allegedly met both victims through their advertised services on Craigslist, thereby coining the familiar moniker ‘Craigslist Killer.’

Police are investigating Markoff’s potential involvement in another incident in Warwick, R.I., where a prostitute who also advertised on Craigslist claimed she was tied up and robbed by a man who matches Markoff’s physical description. Markoff’s fingerprints have been matched at the scene, according to The Boston Globe.

In his arraignment April 21, a plea of not guilty was entered on Markoff’s behalf. He is being held without bail on the murder charges and face an additional $250,000 on the kidnapping charges.

Prosecutors said police found a semi-automatic firearm, ammunition and plastic restraints similar to those found at the scene of Brisman’s murder and used to bind the first victim, in his Quincy house, according to an April 21 Daily Free Press article.’

Markoff was immediately suspended from BU once the university learned of the charges against him, MED spokeswoman Ellen Berlin said. Markoff’s suspension and the university’s succinct three-sentence statement has some students questioning the ambiguities of the BU Lifebook as well as of the administration itself. His pretrial hearing is set for May 21.

BUDGET

Slightly over a month after the National Bureau of Economic Research announced the United States was in an official recession, Mayor Thomas Menino followed suit for the city of Boston. He cited a $140 million budget gap for the impending 2010 fiscal year due to a decrease in revenue and an increase in costs.

When the initial course of action – a one-year wage freeze for city workers – did not suffice, drastic cuts were made to pare down various sectors of Boston. The Boston Police Department announced 60 total layoffs of civilian and cadet workers, to go into effect by July 1. Additionally, Menino angered teachers’ unions in Boston by announced 565 city worker job cuts April 8, including 212 teachers.’

On the state level, Gov. Deval Patrick also announced cuts in Massachusetts. He proposed a new emergency budget Jan. 28, called the ‘Emergency Recovery Plan.” The budget included a proposed $26.97 billion budget for the 2010 fiscal year and a’ 2009 mid-fiscal year ‘fix.”

Patrick’s budget introduced the ‘Valentine’s Day tax,’ which would eliminate a tax exemption on alcohol, candy and soda. The state meal tax would also increase from 5 to 6 percent, and hotel taxes would go up from 5.75 to 6.75 percent, according to a Jan. 29 Daily Free Press article.

However, some financial woes were mitigated when Massachusetts announced it would receive $6 to $9 billion from the federal government, a significant appropriation of the $787 federal stimulus bill.

HARVARD UNIVERSITY

VERSUS ALLSTON-BRIGHTON

Harvard University’s 50-year project to extend its campus into the Allston community came to a near halt due to a 30 percent decrease in the Ivy League university’s endowment as of Feb. 18.

Allston residents said they were outraged by Harvard’s decision to slow construction, especially because local businesses previously bought out by the university are now rendered vacant and useless due to the standstill.’

In a Feb. 26 letter to Harvard President Drew Faust, Menino called the university’s decision to slow its construction in Allston a ‘grave disappointment,’ and said, ‘The university may not make decisions unilaterally.’ Menino demanded Harvard meet with city officials to determine its course of action, according to a March 2 Daily Free Press article.’

Harvard complied with Menino’s demands in a meeting between the Harvard-Allston Task Force, the Boston Redevelopment Authority, Harvard officials and local residents March 25. Harvard Chief Planner Kathy Spiegelman said Harvard’s commitment to its plans for Allston remains intact, and in the mean time, Allston residents can benefit from grants and programs available to the community, despite the slowed progress, The Daily Free Press reported.