Freshmen welcomed with an explosive Splash

The 4,200 newly inducted Boston University freshmen attending Splash activities on Monday expected the free burgers and hot dogs to be grilled, not engulfed in flame.

A propane fire caused three successive explosions of the Kosher food stand as hundreds of students gathered on Nickerson Field looked on, Boston University Police Department Sgt. Jack St. Hilaire said. BUPD cleared students from the area, and Boston Fire Department arrived within minutes to hose off the blazing stand. No one was injured.’

‘It’s lucky no one got hurt,’ School of Public Health junior Joshua Vogel, who was standing three feet from the stand when it exploded, said. ‘The fire department came right away and everyone was actually pretty calm about the whole thing because they knew what to do.’

But some of the free food wasn’t so lucky.

‘There were 12 hotdog casualties,’ BFD firefighter Gary Mottola said. ‘Thankfully, all the cheeseburgers made it.”

A few students, standing behind the makeshift fence put up by the fire department watching the clean-up scene, said they missed their chance for food because of the explosions.’

‘I waited until the end to get food,’ BU Cycling Team Vice President Ian Schon said. ‘I’m getting screwed here.”

The explosion marked the end of a long day for BU freshmen that began at 10 a.m. with the matriculation ceremony. Students listened to speeches by Student Union President James Sappenfield, biomedical engineering professor James Collins, BU Alumni Council President David Hollowell and BU President Robert Brown.’ ‘

Brown welcomed the students by advising them to get everything possible from college life at BU.’

‘Develop the ability to imagine,’ he said. ‘Take time to dream. Passionately pursue your loftiest aspirations. I hope you fulfill your dreams at Boston University.”

Other speakers said students should not be afraid to get to know their professors.’

After each college was officially inducted, the freshmen marched between rows of clapping faculty members toward Nickerson Field for Splash.’

BU student radio WTBU provided music from two speakers while students visited tables, signed email lists and learned about the various activities available around campus. Many clubs and departments handed out free items to entice students, including coupons, frisbees, key chains, glow sticks, Boston guides, t-shirts, hats and draw-string bags.

Students could also bungee jump, joust with inflatable swords or play bean-bag basketball on an inflatable court.’

Students in the Class of 2013 said the explosion did not ruin their excitement about being at BU.’

‘I liked the Hogwarts guy,’ College of General Studies freshman Alisa Peterson said about Collins, who opened his speech by welcoming the students to the fictional wizarding school. ‘He got me pumped for this year.”

College of Arts and Sciences freshman Jessica Stellmann said she appreciated the diversity Brown mentioned in his speech.’ ‘

‘It’s cool,’ Stellmann said. ‘The people across the hall from me are from Trinidad and Korea.” ‘

College of Fine Arts freshman Julia Henken said she liked learning about all the BU clubs at Splashfrom actual members, as well as being able to sign up for multiple e-mail lists.’

‘It’s nice that you’re able to figure it out as you go along,’ Henken said.’