BU prepares for flu season and H1N1

As fears about H1N1 build with the approaching flu season, Boston University officials continue to assure student they are prepared, while many students said they are largely unconcerned about the virus.

BU plans to make the swine flu vaccine available through on-campus clinics in October, Student Health Services Director David McBride said. The vaccine will not be mandatory.

‘It will be recommended,’ McBride said. ‘But no plans to require it at this point.’

BU has provided information to students through emails and on the SHS website that includes links to the Massachusetts Department of Health H1N1 Swine Flu Fact Sheet and the Centers for Disease Control.

But students said they are calm despite the potential health threat.

‘I am not nervous about the swine flu because it is all hype,’ College of Fine Arts sophomore Chelsea Bathurst said. ‘I don’t think it’s a dangerous disease for healthy college students.’

CFA sophomore Yihyoung Li said he will not worry about swine flu unless he gets it.

‘One of my friends went to Chile and he almost got it from his roommate,’ he said. ‘But I am not concerned unless it comes here.’

Other students said their lack of information helps them stay calm.

‘I do not feel nervous about it,’ College of Engineering freshman Ian Peezick said. ‘I don’t know that much about it. Maybe I should but I don’t.’

College of General Studies sophomore Katrina De Rosa said there has been too much emphasis on swine flu.

‘The swine flu craze is dumb,’ she said. ‘They definitely hyped it up to get our minds off the war.’

In contrast to students’ general lack of concern, McBride said coping with the swine flu could present some difficulties for BU.

‘I do think that swine flu will be a big deal,’ he said. ‘We will deal with the situation, but it will be challenging.’

McBride said he advises students to take precautions to keep healthy, including frequent hand washing, covering any coughs and staying home at the first sign of illness.