IT: BU willing to consider raising print quota by next semester at the earliest

Boston University officials said they are open to negotiating this year’s lower print quota, which students said has been frustrating and expensive.

Students have a say in the new quota and price for the additional pages printed, and the number of pages in the quota and the price per page could change as early as spring 2010, BU Information Services and Technology Vice President Tracy Schroeder said.

The current figures and changes in the printing system came from recommendations from task force chaired by Information Systems and Technology Vice President Michael Krugman. The final decision was approved by President Robert Brown last April, she said.

‘I think this started with budget efficiencies and operational efficiencies in light of a recession,’ Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore said.’

Student Union President James Sappenfield said no student representation was included during the decision making process.

‘Students, as constituents of the university, should be accurately accounted for and represented by those who know them best and understand their concerns,’ Sappenfield said.

Schroeder, who said she met with Sappenfield last Thursday, said the quota and price of printing are subject to change since they are based on old figures.

Sappenfield said he has been approached by College of Arts and Sciences representative Anant Shukla, School of Management representative and Academic Affairs Committee chairman Henry Chen and tech committee chair John Bavlsik concerning a proposal to recommend an expanded print quota.

‘It’s exciting to see such strong student involvement and a student based response and participation in the decision making process,’ Sappenfield said.

Sappenfield also said students can engage in discussion about the proposal at Monday’s General Assembly meeting. The statistics used to make the new proposal will be featured online in the near future, she said.

‘This is just the beginning of a process of building awareness,’ Schroeder said.

She said it is appropriate to charge students for printing, citing New York University as another reputable institution that removed its free printing system.

She said she is committed to working with faculty to accept assignments digitally.

Schroeder said she does not foresee a problem with students unable to print assignments before class, since Mugar Memorial Library will be open at least one hour before class opens.

‘If a student finishes an assignment at 3 or 4 in the morning, they can get some sleep and print it out at Mugar at 7 in the morning for an 8 o’clock class,’ Schroeder said.

Students addressed concerns not only about the financial costs of printing, but also logistical concerns.

Metropolitan College graduate student Tracy Ruan said BU should not make policy changes that hurt students.

‘I have had trouble logging in to the computers in Mugar, and the two-step printing process is really confusing and makes everything take much longer,’ Ruan said.

Elmore said though the change was for budget reasons, he hopes it makes BU greener.

‘If there’s a consequence to it that people are more efficient with their printing, that’s great,’ Elmore said.

Ruan questioned the environmental goals of the change and said she is often cold because of the air conditioning in Mugar

‘ ‘They always use so much AC in here, even when it’s not that hot outside. If they are really concerned with conservation they would turn down the AC a bit,’ Ruan said.

College of General Studies sophomore Chine Ezekwesili, who lives off campus, said he is likely going to purchase his own printer because of the policy changes.’

‘I printed at least 200 pages last semester during exam time. Printing final papers will definitely be a problem since there will be so many people in here,’ Ezekwesili said.’

‘The changes that the BU administration made were not cool and totally unfair,’ Ezekwesili said.