Letters to Editor, Opinion

LETTER: Page rage

Dear Members of the Boston University Student Union:

This past week I met with Tracy Schroeder, vice president of information systems and technology, and Michael Krugman, associate vice president of IS&T. During this meeting we discussed both the lack of a 24-hour computer lab and the changes that have been made to print quota.

While discussing the lack of a 24-hour lab, it became obvious there simply was not enough demand for open printing to continue to supply without costing the university severely, in the range of $120,000 ‘- $140,000 additional per year. As it stands now, the lab remains open until 2 a.m., with it reopening an hour before classes start at 7 a.m. Any student without access to a computer who lives on campus has access to kiosk-stations running in the same rooms the old residence computer labs used to occupy. Please check www.bu.edu/union to see statistics from the spring semester detailing this.

The revised print quota, on the other hand, is open for discussion. I am excited to say that Ms. Schroeder seems very eager to hear student input on the situation, and has asked for an updated and researched proposal on the issue. Currently, student opinion is being actively considered as part of the decision process regarding the university’s printing quota.

This is a major step forward in representation from where we were last year. It is good to see clearer communication and greater consideration between students and the administration, but also action to address student concerns. At the first General Assembly of the student body, Anant Shukla, College of Arts and Sciences representative, will be discussing a plan to research and propose an expanded quota based on the facts. This proposal, with an expected completion date set within the next two weeks to a month, will be an extensive consideration of both the facts and student needs. To find out more on how to get involved, attend Monday’s first general assembly from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. in CAS326, or email’ union@bu.edu As always, I look forward to seeing you all there!

Sincerely,

James Sappenfield

President, Student Union

Boston University