Film & TV, The Muse

It’s Always Sunny for Philly Fans

Waiting through the seemingly never-ending line outside of House of Blues Tuesday night, there were two distinguishable sounds: cheers from Red Sox fans at Fenway and chatter from whom I would consider the more fanatical group, Always Sunny in Philadelphia fans. During the fifteen minute wait to get inside the doors for the 8:30 show, some sang ‘Dayman,’ some posed in front of the tour van embellished with the casts’ faces, some compared their costumes of their favorite characters, while still some discussed how they had no problem spending forty dollars on tickets to see a reenactment of a television show.’ ‘

Recently, there seems to be a trend of television stars taking their success on tour.’ Always Sunny in Philadelphia has joined the ranks of The Mighty Boosh, Tim and Eric, and Dethklok from Metalocopolyspe. While many of these shows are based around musical skits or fictional bands, Always Sunny has taken one episode and turned it into a live tour. The episode in question, ‘The Night Man Cometh,’ involves ‘the gang’ putting on a musical.’ ‘

After waiting through the opening band, the composer of’ ‘The Night Man Cometh’ introduced never-before-seen footage to warm up the crowd.’ It was immediately apparent that this crowd came to party. Hoots and hollers throughout the entire new episode proved that the audience was going to be a big part of the show.’ ‘

Greeted by the roar of the crowd, Charlie Day, playing the character ‘Charlie’ from the show, began the episode with his first lines. Throughout the performance, the cast stayed loyal to their scripted lines.’ Perhaps the only differences were the addition of a few properly placed curses that would have been cut from their cable-home on FX. During most songs and many lines, the crowd followed along or preceded the cast. The live show continued as successfully as one could expect an enactment of an hour-long television comedy and allowed the cast to truly prove their acting and singing talents. This vaudeville like performance allowed fans to live out a favorite episode with the characters, but more importantly provided space for a proper ‘Dayman’ sing-along led by the cast.