Phylicia Rashad joins land reform debate

A continued commitment among world leaders to roundtable discussions on African land reform issues, along with more student involvement, may eventually lessen the threat to the African economy, former African ambassadors and leaders told Boston University students Wednesday.

‘What has been happening is that [people are] forgetful of the younger generation,’ former Prime Minister of Tanzania Frederick Sumaye said. ‘The leaders of tomorrow [are] going to deal with unsolved issues.’

The African Presidential Archives and Research Center released the African Presidential Roundtable DVD to about 50 students, faculty and APARC members, including actress Phylicia Rashad, best known for her role as Claire Huxtable in the family sitcom ‘The Cosby Show.’

The discussion was also held in April in Berlin, Germany and focused on the challenges land reform in Africa poses to both African and other world leaders. The goal was to provide solutions to growing problems in African states such as Tanzania, Mozambique and Zimbabwe.

APARC Director Charles Stith said global leaders have not yet to reach a consensus, but with the continuation of Roundtable discussions, land reform issues may eventually lessen the threat to the African economy.

BU students who attended the APARC conference met with world leaders, such as Sumaye and the first president of Cape Verde, Aristides Maria Pereira.’

Rashad, who has been on the APARC advisory board for three years, said it was remarkable that students could meet heads of state in a social setting.

She also praised Sumaye’s role in improving U.S. relations with Tanzania.

‘He is the reason that the relationship between the U.S. and Tanzania did not erupt, but it grew stronger,’ Rashad said.’

College of Arts and Sciences senior Ginelle Wynter said she was surprised by the experience she gained.’

‘It was my first time out of the country and it was incredible,’ she said. ‘We had no idea we would interact with the leaders as much as we did.’