Students explore options at Activities Expo

Boston University students did more than just learn about student groups on-campus at this year’s Fall Activities Expo, they were able to watch them perform on stage yesterday in Metcalf Hall.

The performers at the Expo, hosted by the Student Activities Office, included spoken word poets and Irish step dancers, providing hundreds of attendees with entertainment as they meandered through the 238 student groups, ranging from social to human rights groups.

The clubs included Ad Club, Synapse, and Alpha Phi. All the groups were emailed and registered online to save a table for setting up posters, and handing out flyers, candy and cookies to try encourage new members.

‘It’s a great way to catch eyes,’ Tracy Domitrz, a College of Arts and Sciences senior and event coordinator, said about the numerous students eager to get involved.

About 10 of the groups opted to perform, including Student Government, Step Team, and clubs like Speak for Yourself. The performances ranged from musical solo performances, dance routines, and poetry.

With a lot of the interest directed towards the stage at the middle of the room, CAS sophomores Abby Smigelsky and Kelsey Plew said the performances were ‘awesome.’

Speak for Yourself member Jessica Kontchou presented an original poem onstage.

‘Do you love me? Wants an answer, but doesn’t really need one. To love is enough,’ Kontchou, a CAS junior, said to the audience.

Speak for Yourself, which was founded three years ago to offer students an outlet to simply ‘speak’ their own words, performs frequently at BU and around the city.

Many students said they attended the Expo in order to get involved in community service at BU’s Community Service Center.

‘I’d love to get involved in community service,’ CAS sophomore Eva Chan said.

Fraternities and sororities on campus are also involved in community service. APO, a student-run co-ed BU fraternity, volunteers for ‘pretty much everything,’ members said.

The fraternity does volunteer work for Relay for Life, Meals on Wheels, and Habitat for Humanity.

APO Public Relations chair Erin Wildman encouraged students to become involved with APO.

‘Get out of the BU bubble, and give back,’ she said.’

The Hunger Relief club, dedicated to fighting hunger in Boston, advises students to ‘give back to the community.’

Hunger Relief President Lauren Blumberg said she met her ‘closest friends through Hunger Relief.’

Regardless of the club or activity, students said they were enthusiastic about the event, but more so about their own club.

‘Join our club,’ group representatives yelled to passer-bys.

CAS sophomore Amy Crawford said the Expo gave her a great opportunity to actually check out some of the clubs that were on the SAO website.’

‘Candy’s pretty good too,’ she added.