Dining services diversifies options

Boston University has revamped its campus dining services this year to add more variety to menus, keep dining locations open later hours and create shorter lines, BU officials said.

Dining Services spokesman Scott Rosario said the changes were made to better accommodate students.

‘Big picture-wise, the enhancements we make to the dining program really go toward to enhancing everyone’s experiences while at Boston University,’ he said.

Dining Services distributes surveys to BU students every fall and spring to get opinions on what they should change for the following year.

Olecito, the new Mexican restaurant beneath Warren Towers, is the result of these student surveys, Dining Services Director Barbara Laverdiere said. BU partnered with Ole, a restaurant in Cambridge, after students said they wanted more Mexican food around campus.

‘It’s been a huge success,’ Rosario said. ‘Dean Kenneth Elmore has even twittered about it a few times.’

Previously, the West Campus dining hall was only open until 8 p.m. Now, it will stay open an extra hour to cut down on long lines and give students the opportunity to spread out their meals.

‘It’s even better that they’re open until 9 now because I stay up until late working, so eating later is better,’ School of Management sophomore Aamir Ashraf said.

Extreme Pita, located at the entrance of Claflin Hall, is another new addition to West Campus. They offer lunch, dinner and late night with a menu ranging from pita pizzas to smoothies.

‘West is my favorite because it always has a lot of food options,’ College of Arts and Sciences freshman Jake Turnbull said.

The George Sherman Union, Buick Street and Commonwealth Avenue have also undergone some changes. Buick Street now has fresh produce services, Charles River Bread Company and Loose Leafs, Rosario said.

The biggest change to campus dining after the increased variety, Rosario said, is students’ ability to use Dining and Convenience Points in all the new locations.

‘Whether you’re going to get a box of cereal or coffee, you can use Dining or Convenience Points,’ Rosario said.

Next, Dining Services plans to open a Raising Cane’s, a Louisiana-based chain, in October on Commonwealth Avenue in place of the former West Campus McDonald’s. The restaurant, famous for its chicken fingers, will also add variety, Laverdiere said.

‘We don’t want to be the supplier by default but the supplier of choice, so the more options we have for students are better,’ Laverdiere said.

For further information about BU Dining Services, see today’s In Business section.