Students promote recycling, sustainability with ‘café’

Just because batteries, light bulbs, Brita filters and small electronics don’t fit into typical paper or plastic recycling bin categories, doesn’t mean they aren’t reusable.

Boston University students can now bring items like these, and other products they are unsure how to dispose of to the Recycling Caf’eacute; every Monday at the George Sherman Union Link from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The Office of Environmental Health and Safety and Sustainability has organized the weekly collection, and free coffee with a mug, as part of an overall initiative to encourage environmental consciousness and recycling programs across campus.

‘There are engaged people on campus,’ Student Recycling Coordinator Rachel Weil said about student recycling habits. ‘You can come and fill up your mug and know that you are a part of a campus wide sustainability campaign.’

The primary goal is to promote BU’s environmental efforts. Student Recycling Coordinator Anny Oberlink, a College of Fine Arts junior, said she hopes to educate students about the consequences of their everyday actions.

‘Our biggest goal is to help people take what they learn about sustainability and apply it to their own lives,’ she said.

She said students can achieve this through small measures such as recycling, turning off the lights and conserving water.

BU received a B- last year in overall environmental consciousness, according to the 2009 College Sustainability Report Card. BU’s strengths included Food & Recycling, due largely to Dining Services’ use of locally sourced food, biodegradable resources and composting. BU also scored highly for its investment in renewable energy funds.

The report card gave Student Involvement, Transportation and Green Building B ratings, while weaknesses included Climate Change & Energy and Shareholder Engagement.

OEHS students said they advocate change from the BU administration as well as the students.

‘There’s so much more BU can do in terms of energy efficiency in general,’ Weil, a College of Arts and Sciences senior, said. ‘Just turning off the lights. You walk by CAS at 4 a.m. and the lights are still on. There’s no need for that.’

BU’s goal for the year is to recycle 16 percent of its waste, Oberlink said. The school is currently at 13 to 14 percent, which Oberlink said is a drastic improvement over previous years.

Some BU students said they do not recycle, citing limited availability of resources as a deterrent.

‘More people would recycle if there were more recycling bins around,’ CAS sophomore Kalani McDaniel said. ‘Easier is always better. Students are lazy.’

Others students said they agreed.

‘[Recycling bins are] there but people don’t always go out of their way to use them,’ CAS senior Laurel Beede said.

This year, the OEHS said they are planning on auditing the amount of recycling bins across campus in order to better assess where more are needed.

Students said they think small actions can impact a larger change.

‘I know there’s more I could do ‘- trying to recycle, turning off the lights,’ Beede said. ‘But I’m working on it. And by trying to change my own habits a little bit at a time, as opposed to trying to change the world, I’m hoping I can make some impact.’