Student performers pay tribute to Michael Jackson

Paying homage to the man and the legend, BU Central hosted a tribute show Friday honoring the late musical icon Michael Jackson.

More than 250 attendees gathered to listen to some of Jackson’s greatest hits. Prizes were handed out and a dance contest was held inviting all attendees to show their Jackson spirit.

The tribute show brought together a variety of venues including two different disc jockeys, Boston University a cappella groups Chordially Yours and The BosTones and several bands from New York and Boston.

?Building on the success of last year’s Elliott Smith tribute show, BU Central officials said they had intended to host a similar event again.

‘We wanted some kind of tribute show, we thought about Radiohead, or The Beatles . . . we didn’t know,’ WTBU music director Jennifer Brown, a contributor in the collaboration of the show, said.

?Brown, a College of Communication senior, said she and BU Central general manager Samantha Inchausti brainstormed ideas for collaborative BU Central and WTBU events. A few months later, Michael Jackson passed away and the idea of a tribute fit.

?’I don’t know anyone who isn’t a fan of Michael Jackson’s music,’ Brown said.

BU Central spokesman Justin Monestime said the Michael Jackson show brought the BU community together.

‘Our Michael Jackson tribute show exemplifies the immense impact that the king of pop had on us all,’ he said. ‘Anytime student groups like the BosTones and Chordially Yours come on the BUC stage, it’s a great thing because having BU’s best on our stage gives that community feel.’

‘Michael Jackson is a good singer,’ he said. ‘I rather enjoy ‘Smooth Criminal.”

The show is an example of the strong collaborative efforts between WTBU and BU Central, Brown said.

?’WTBU and BU Central working together is great,’ she said. ‘A lot of people come out to the shows we put together, so we had no reason to doubt that the [Michael Jackson] show would be any different.’

?COM freshmen Conrad Golovac said he thought the show was a great tribute.

?’I’ve never been a huge Michael Jackson fan, but the show really brought back memories of how much of an impact he had on the music industry,’ he said.