BU officials discuss flu isolation, security

In the weekly security meeting between representatives from various departments including the Boston University Police Department, the Dean of Students Office and Housing, officials said BU is working to remain on top of influenza risks around campus and the BU Emergency Alert System.

With flu season officially starting Monday, Vice President of Administrative Services Peter Fiedler said two BU students are currently in isolation, one sick and one healthy.

‘Not much has changed,’ Fiedler, the head of the BU H1N1 task force, said. ‘The number of sick students is very low.’

Fiedler said BU has worked to provide information on seasonal vaccine clinics and has used posters around campus to publicize preventative measures like hand washing and flu buddies.

‘We’re hoping that a lot of the messaging that’s gone out has been helping,’ Fiedler said. ‘It’s still recommended that everyone receive the seasonal flu shot.’

The poster on what to do during flu season, put up last week by Student Health Services, gives an overview of what students should do before they feel sick.

‘Wash your hands frequently or use hand sanitizer,’ the poster says. ‘Make a ‘flu buddy’ ‘- a friend who will check on you and help care for you while you are sick.’

It also describes what students should do if they feel flu-like symptoms, including contacting a resident assistant and calling SHS rather than going there in person.

Fiedler said the H1N1 task force has also brought on two student representatives from the BU community to provide input on decisions.

‘We have a grad and an undergrad student sitting on the flu task force,’ Fiedler said. ‘It’s gone very well.’

He said the H1N1 vaccine is expected to reach BU in late October or early November.

Officials also discussed other security updates over the past few days. BUPD Chief Tom Robbins said Monday’s scheduled testing of the BU alert system went well overall.

‘I thought it was flawless,’ he said.

The alert system, he said, is part of an ongoing effort to improve communication with students about incidents around campus.

‘There’s a lot of technology folks from our community . . . who have worked to get this implemented,’ he said.

He said BU has complied with national standards in the creation of the alert system.

‘We’ve done that homework and it’s bearing fruit,’ he said.

Director of Emergency Response Planning Stephen Morash said BU will also soon involve non-university police’ with the alert system’s communication loop.

‘We’re going to put Brookline police in this route,’ he said. ‘I’m very pleased with the result today.’

Last Wednesday, the Office of Administrative Services released its annual security report to students, detailing crime incidents over the past three years. Robbins also gave an overview of crime trends between Sept. 28 and Oct. 4.

There have been seven robberies this school year in the ‘vast’ BU community, he said, and assaults have increased 23 percent.

Violent crime has gone down six percent, he said, while incidents of hospitalized intoxicated students have gone up 43 percent.

‘We’re working to get that down and get education out,’ he said of the alcohol issue.

Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore said BU has looked provide more information to students about campus security.

‘We’ve worked something out with the Student Union where once a month we’ll have time to talk about security at a meeting,’ Elmore said.