Unmarked police car, T collide on BU Bridge

An unmarked police car collided with a Green Line train carrying passengers near the Boston University Bridge early Thursday afternoon, interrupting service for about a half an hour, officials said.

The Boston Police Department officer driving the unmarked car was the only person injured, suffering back and neck injuries, BPD spokesman Eddie Crispin said. The officer was transported to St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, he said.

Passengers on the B line were bused between the Packard’s Corner and Blanford T-stops while crews worked on the scene.

Crispin said the BPD officer was making a left on University Road to warn a skateboarder in the middle of traffic.

‘[The officer] turned on emergency lights and attempted to make a U turn to the other side and was struck by the trolley,’ Crispin said.

The accident caused damage to the car’s driver’s side rear end, officials said. Boston Police Department, MBTA transit officers and the Boston Fire Department responded to the accident.

Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority spokesman Joe Pesaturo said the accident is still under investigation.