Armed on-campus bank robber still not caught

Boston police are still searching for the suspect involved in an armed robbery at the University Credit Union Tuesday afternoon in west campus, after the suspect fled on foot towards Kenmore Square.

The suspect, described as a black man with a mustache and a black ‘puffy’ coat, displayed a handgun and demanded an undisclosed amount of money from the teller at 846 Commonwealth Ave. at about 12 p.m., officials said.

The Boston University Police Department was notified about the robbery about 10 minutes after 12 p.m., BUPD spokesman Jeffrey Burke said. Students received four Emergency Alert text messages, one voicemail and an email regarding the incident at about 1 p.m.

No students were inside the bank at the time of the incident, only employees, and there were no reported injuries, officials said.

Boston Federal Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Gail Marcinkiewicz said they are still searching for the suspect, along with the help of BUPD, the Boston Police Department and the Brookline Police Department.

BUPD officials said such an incident is ‘not a common occurrence’ and said there has not been an increase in armed robberies on or around BU’s campus.

In light of the Oct. 10 robbery at knifepoint outside Sleeper Hall, however, Burke said BUPD still urges caution.

‘As far as students and BU community members we would just ask them to use caution in everyday activity,’ he said. ‘We’d like them to keep safety their primary concern . . . and be aware of their surroundings.’

In March, a suspect known as the ‘Brighton Bank Robber’ robbed a series of five Allston-Brighton banks in 10 days, according to a March 24 Daily Free Press article. The suspect involved in these incidents was a white man, and was never reported seen with a weapon.

Marcinkiewicz said there are over 200 bank robberies a year in Boston and the Boston FBI crimes task force is typically involved in the investigation.