KIRLAND: The Feminine Delight Model

I’ve got to come clean. I’m not the manly man I may appear to be. Once the guys who know me stop laughing at that last sentence, I ask them to question their own manliness. Look at your own life for a quick second and if you can tell me honestly that you don’t have any feminine delights, please stop reading this column, because I will be embarrassed. I’m going to give the reader a quick glance at my feminine side – and maybe give you a model for thinking about the girl inside yourself.’

The first part of the Feminine Delight Model (FDM) is your guilty girly tastes in music. I like Taylor Swift. Yes, read that twice if you have to and it’ll still be true the second time. I was hooked the second my sisters played ‘Love Story’ for me over last year’s winter break. I like every other song I’ve heard by her – even though she sounds like she’s had too many relationships for a teenager. Some of my other guilty girl tastes include Sheryl Crowe, Colbie Callat, Michelle Branch and recently, Miley Cyrus – I’ve mentioned ‘Party in the U.S.A.’ in a recent column.

The next part of the FDM is a man’s soft spot for a particularly lady-like TV show. For example, for some unexplainable reason, I still watch Grey’s Anatomy.’ I hate myself for admitting it – but maybe by more people making fun of me for my ‘problem,’ I will be able to permanently fix it. I can’t be the only one with this sort of problem. If you’re a dude and watch ‘reality’ shows on MTV, drool over ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ view any show on the CW or occasionally scope out programs on the Lifetime channel, you can’t make fun of me.

The third aspect of the FDM construct is an obvious one. Every guy has a favorite chick flick – and by ‘favorite,’ I mean one that makes him cry. I have a couple. The one I’ll mention – only because I believe that every guy has had a girl force him to watch it at some point-is ‘The Notebook.’ Can you blame me for getting sad as I watch the beautiful Rachel McAdams get her heart broken? Can you blame me that I’m overcome with happy tears as Rachel is reunited with her true love – that guy from ‘Remember the Titans?’

There are many other parts of the FDM, but the brevity of my column prevents me from going in depth about all of them. I just wanted to mention a few so us guys could get this out in the open and have some dialogue about this topic. Just because we have the Y-chromosome doesn’t mean we don’t have the occasional cry-chromosome. As a columnist, I feel that it’s my duty to talk about things that the public should be talking about – even if they’re controversial. Heck, I even occasionally get to talk about subjects that strip me of my manly man shell.