BU students say ‘FML’

Boston University students looking to procrastinate by reading about how an anonymous user just had the worst day ever will now have an even more distracting, and campus-oriented medium.

‘Printing quota that i [sic] hit over a month ago. FML.’

Bufml.com, a spin off of the popular site fmylife.com (f— my life), allows BU students to share personal, and often humorous, anecdotes about their daily lives on-campus. Each user can contribute by submitting personal stories at the top of the page

Students said BU FML, which is part of College FML, a website that aggregates posts from various colleges, is the perfect digital outlet to vent their angers, regrets and frustrations.

The website aims to provide humor for all involved, bearing in mind that self deprecation and a sense of irony are essential, according to fmylife.com.

College of Communication freshman Aditi Pai said she has enjoyed reading what other BU students have posted so far.

‘ ‘It’s fun to read and relate to other people’s funny moments,’ Pai said.

BU FML does not have as many limitations or specifications as other sites. There is no required length, and some students prefer to post one-line statements, while others post short essays.

One post said: ‘My roommate not only farts when he sleeps, he wakes himself up in the process. FML.’

Such postings help BU students connect with each other by reading and sharing stories they can relate to, students said. Some said they think the anecdotes describing catastrophic events in the lives of BU students are truthful and relatable.

‘People can connect to us and these other people,’ School of Management junior Michael Dinh said.

Some students said they are skeptical about the validity of the posts.

‘I don’t know if they are all real, but they are very entertaining,’ School of Education sophomore Julia Hajedemos said.

Other students said they find bufml.com an annoyance.

‘When people say, ‘FML,’ I want to punch them in the face,’ College of Arts and Sciences sophomore’ Elizabeth Green’ said.

Many students, like Green, have never posted anything on the site but enjoy reading it anyway.

‘It makes people realize that their life doesn’t suck,’ Green said. ‘You read that site and you’re going to think you had the best day ever.’

Students are also fans of websites such as mylifeisaverage.com and ‘Overheard at BU’ a group on facebook. Mylifeisaverage.com, similar to fmylife.com, is a forum for people to post their daily observations.

‘Overheard at BU,’ which has over 5,000 Facebook group members, is also an open forum in which student eavesdroppers post quotes they hear while at BU, with little or no background context.

‘Sites like mylifeisaverage.com and bufml.com are both my source of entertainment and my reason for procrastination,’ CAS freshman Cassandra Borenstein said.