Spring 2010 D.C. journalism program canceled

The Washington Journalism Program has been canceled for next semester and Washington, D.C. director Linda Killian will step down, students said.

Washington, D.C. Internship Program and Journalism Program director Linda Killian announced this would be her last semester with the program at a brunch celebrating the end of the semester Sunday morning, students said.’

Killian, who created and launched the Boston University Washington Journalism Center, which allows students to intern in Washington D.C. for national media outlets, in 2000, according to the center’s website, was unavailable for comment at press time.’

College of Arts and Sciences senior Kara Marcello said Killian also announced the Washington Journalism Program was canceled next semester due to lack of interest. The Washington Internship Program will continue as planned.’

Marcello said Killian will begin working at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars and research a book.’

‘She’s just not going to be in charge of BU Washington Programs,’ Marcello said.

College of Communication graduate student Joe Markman said Killian indicated the Journalism Program could re-start at a future point.

‘It was low-interest,’ he said. ‘They hadn’t gotten a lot of applications for it.’

He said students in the program did not see the announcement coming.’

‘People were disappointed,’ he said. ‘We really like to see the program here. We like to see people get into the program and do it.”

CAS junior Justine Hill, part of the Washington, D.C. Internship Program, confirmed the announcement and said students were stunned Killian is not coming back. Hill said there are 29 students in the program, including several from outside of BU.

‘She was very dedicated to her work,’ Hill said.’

Denison University junior Kyle Bates, also in the Internship Program, agreed that the announcement was sudden.’

‘I was pretty surprised,’ he said. ‘I just didn’t expect that to be announced at breakfast. ‘It caught everyone off guard.”