Formerly homeless Bostonians gather in support of cause

Families and individuals who were once homeless shared their stories with state legislators and homeless shelter and service providers in support of the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program Thursday afternoon at the Statehouse.

The event, attended by about 175 people, was sponsored by Homes for Families, a Massachusetts homeless advocacy group founded in 1994.

It was part of the group’s “cookie campaign,” in which members delivered a large house-shaped cookie to Gov. Deval Patrick’s office as well as smaller cookies to state representatives and senators, encouraging legislators to continue supporting the MRVP.

The MRVP provides 5,100 low-income households with a monthly subsidy used to pay rent on private apartments, said Homes for Families policy director Diane Sullivan.

The program received $35.4 million in support last year, and Homes for Families is advocating that the same amount be funded again this year, said Executive Director Libby Hayes.

Because the proposed funding has to pass through the Massachusetts Senate and House, state legislators at the event urged individuals to talk to their local representative or senator about continuing support for the program.

“It is critically important that you come out and testify to us and let them know how valuable this program is,” said Rep. Kevin Honan, D-Suffolk, chair of the Joint Committee of Housing.

“Even if you are just one person, talk to a legislator or staff person,” said Sen. Sonia Chang-Diaz, D-Suffolk.

Noemy Santiago, who has received a rental voucher, said when she became homeless in 1993, she was a mother who had no hope left for her children. After receiving a rental voucher, she said she has been able to achieve stability. Her oldest daughter said she now plans to attend Suffolk University.

Yvette Smalls said she was homeless for ten years after she left an abusive household in search of safety. After becoming housed in 2007, she said, she went back to school and earned two honors degrees.

“I’ve been in my current residence for three years and it feels so, so good. A home, a subsidy, a voucher can make a difference,” Smalls said. “Please don’t let it fall off the radar. Families depend on it.”

Sullivan, said she experienced homelessness with her family in 2001.

“Massachusetts is suffering from an affordable housing crisis,” she said.

She also spoke about the overflowing shelter system in Massachusetts.

“We have allowed our shelter system to become a de facto housing system,” she said.

Attendee Steven Stolberg, who works as a housing assistant coordinator at the Center for Living and Working in Worcester, said he has found it difficult to receive a rental voucher.

“I have been working there for ten years and I only saw one person get it. When people have the vouchers, they only give it up when they die,” Stolberg said.

26-year-old Ashyia Austin from Brighton said she came to the event because she is currently homeless with a seven-year-old son.

“I want to share my story,” she said.

Others shared their experiences of how Homes for Families has helped them out of homelessness.

“Without Homes for Families I probably wouldn’t know how to fight,” said Tracy Balthazar, a personal assistant at a physical therapy center from Newton who was homeless for six months.”When I first went into the shelter I lost all hope. They taught me who to talk to and where to go.”