Haiti benefit reaches $50k goal

From building an interactive museum to having students strut Haitian-inspired clothing at a fashion show, Boston University students and faculty pulled out all the stops to raise money for Haitian relief efforts Sunday.

About 200 people gathered at the George Sherman Union for the Haitian relief benefit “Boston Stands with Haiti.

A collaborative effort between BU’s Haitian Cultural Association and 20 other student and administrative groups, the event raised funds for Partners in Health, a non-profit group devoted to bringing modern medical care to poor communities around the world, according to its website.

“I love the way our students in the Haitian cultural association stepped up and took a leadership role and how other students got together to help coordinate with them,” said Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore after the event. “It crossed ethnic and racial and cultural lines, and departments, too, were engaged in it.”

An anonymous donor pledged to match whatever was raised at the event, according to organizers. The BU Community Service Center tweeted Sunday night that the event had met its ultimate goal of $50,000 and that they had raised over $25,000 to be matched.

College of Arts and Sciences junior Megan Bolotin, an event organizer, said she wanted BU students to keep the Haitian people in their hearts and minds not just now, but months after the disaster.

The event was a good way for people to have fun while also raising money for Haiti, said Bolotin, who is also vice president for Hillel House’s Social Action Committee.

To promote the event, student organizations put up posters and created a Facebook event. The event page encouraged students to make their profile pictures “Boston Stands with Haiti 2.28.10,” to grab their friends’ attention.

“In 45 seconds Port-Au-Prince was destroyed! What is the Boston community willing to do about it? Join us for the Boston wide event,” the event page said.

Gov. Deval Patrick and Kenneth Elmore both made speeches thanking the BU student body for creating such a successful event. In a short address, Patrick thanked the groups for working as a community to help the stricken nation.

An interactive exhibit titled “Walking in Her Footsteps,” was on display next to Metcalf Hall. The exhibit focused not only on the earthquake, but also the Haitian culture by giving participants a look at the country’s history.

Students watched peers walk down the catwalk in a fashion show titled “Haute for Haiti,” which featured outfits inspired by the Haitian “carnaval” theme.

Attendees could also bid on items that were on display at the silent auction, including Red Sox tickets and an afternoon golfing with Elmore.

Panelists discussed Haiti’s future in two events held in the GSU’s Back Court. Panelists included Wesleyan University professor Gina Athena Ulysse, Boston Haitian community leader Charlot Lucien, BU economics professor Randall Ellis, Haitian-American writer and academic Patrick Sylvain and Hope for Haiti Foundation co-founder Jean Elade Eloi.

Several local organizations staged musical performances at the fundraiser, including BU’s All Campus Orchestra and co-ed a cappella group the BosTones.

Throughout the fundraiser, students munched on authentic Haitian food, including dessert from the Fireplace restaurant.

Leah Roh, a College of Communication freshman, said the event was a nice mix of entertainment and information.

“It was a good way to spread the knowledge about Haiti,” she said.

CAS freshman Brittany Schwartz said she was impressed with the number of organizations that donated their time to plan the event.

“It was nice how many BU student groups were able to come together for this cause,” she said.