BU celebrates St. Patrick's Day with food and clovers but no more

St. Patrick’s Day bounded into sunny Boston Wednesday, a holiday reserved for celebration, corned beef and, as tradition mandates, a Guinness or two.

As the hub of America’s Irish community, Boston takes on St. Patty’s day very seriously, starting with a the oldest St. Patrick’s Day parade outside of Ireland last Sunday. Public schools were also closed Wednesday.

Technically, the city was observing the occasion of Evacuation Day, which marks the exit of British troops from their occupation of Boston during the revolutionary war.

Boston University, located in this Irish diaspora, seems to be a natural fit for bagpipes, the Dropkick Murphys and all else that accompanies this festive day.

Many BU students, however, did not seem to catch this shamrock fever.

“I don’t really notice much celebration besides people wearing green,” said College of General Studies freshman Gabi Grossman. “In a predominately Irish city you would expect more celebration.”

Although the George Sherman Union was decorated for the occasion, celebrations were quiet.

Students noted a general lack of awareness of the campus festivities.

“I honestly didn’t know BU celebrated St Patty’s day,” said College of Engineering junior Joe Jablonski. “I didn’t see anything around campus.”

The dining halls, however, did prepare an Irish menu, as food is an integral piece of St Patrick’s Day. Even non-Irish foods in the Myles Standish Dining hall were labeled with an Irish touch, such as “McPasta toss with McSausage and McTofu.”

For some students, the food provided a nostalgic and homey touch.

“Corned beef is cheaper around this time,” Jablonski said. “My family used to eat it for days after the holiday as well.

“It’s a family tradition,” said College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Leon Barker of the food. “We always have corned beef and potatoes.”

Barker also donned a green and orange Ireland sweatshirt to pay homage to his home country.

“I’ve studied the Irish culture,” he said. “I’ve looked into my ancestors’ history and I wanted to honor them.”

“Also, I drink!” Barker said in typical Irish fashion.

Some feel, however, that this Irish spirit is taken a little too far in regards to the alcohol consumption that goes hand-in-hand with the celebration.

“This holiday is just an excuse for young individuals to get drunk,” said CAS sophomore Nick Tsakmaklis. “It’s a joke.”