Film & TV, The Muse

Undercover television: The best shows you’ve never seen

With the same shows dominating ratings week after week, it’s hard to remember that something else is out there. Television should have variety, and while the top dog shows tend to overshadow lesser-known alternatives, it’s important to broaden your viewing horizons. Here are a few shows flying under the radar that I think merit a closer look.

Funny or Die Presents…
The well known website comes to HBO with a sketch comedy show. Gary Sanchez Productions, the company of co-producers Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, pulled in over 60 million views with their website’s first video, The Landlord. The HBO project manages to capture the same risky and outrageous humor that dominates the top ratings online.
You also might like Whitest Kids You Know (IFC) &’ College Humor Show (MTV)
Undercover Boss
This reality show goes beyond the typical drama-driven programs reality is notorious for, and presents an interesting documentary style piece. In each episode, an executive of a large corporate company goes undercover as a lower-level employee to access the company’s efficiency and operations from a ground level. The appeal? Watching stuffy old men strip off their suits and pick up trash, clean toilets and hopefully lose their tempers.
You also might like New York Goes to Work (MTV)
Archer
Unlike other shows on this list, Archer has managed to capture a larger audience, prompting FX execs to order a second season. Edgy, dialogue-driven humor is paired masterfully with rough-looking animation. Since the sneak preview aired on the heels of It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia this past fall, the star-studded cast and fast paced quips set this show at the top of my must-see list.
You also might like Frisky Dingo (Adult Swim)
The Inbetweeners
This BBC-produced comedy captures the ups and downs of a student forced to make a sudden change from his life of private school into the public system. With two of the writers coming from HBO’s Flight of the Conchords, I can safely say I was not disappointed. The show ran for two seasons in the UK and made its premiere in the States this past January on BBC America. ABC has announced they’ll be developing an American adaptation, but I would recommend finding the British show now to tide you over.
You might also like Freaks and Geeks (NBC, late 90s)

Hopefully these shows prove entertaining &-&- they come with my recommendation, at the very least. In the event of another rainy day spent indoors or boring paper you feel like putting off, fire up your computer and do a little digging. These shows are out there, and it’s definitely worth the search.