Student Village affords luxury, if you can afford it

The Daily Free Press kicks off its housing series for 2010-11 on-campus living today with some west campus options. Look for more guidance on where to live next year in coming days and send us your thoughts on the best choices.

In the search for housing, students tend to aim high &- both in quality and height.

The John Hancock Student Village, comprising the dormitories at 10 Buick Street, or StuVi 1, and 33 Harry Agganis Way, or StuVi 2, is Boston University’s newest residence.

According to many students, it’s the ideal place for juniors and seniors to live on campus.
1019 Commonwealth Avenue, located near the Student Village, is also a great alternative for students without junior or senior standing, students said.

StuVi 1 and 2 both feature apartment-style living, with 33 Agganis Way also offering suite-style housing in its South tower, according to the BU housing website. StuVi 2, towering on the Charles River skyline at 26 floors, is often billed as Boston’s newest luxury high-rise.

According to the housing website, StuVi 1 and 2 are only available to students with junior or senior standing, but sophomores can also be pulled in by upperclassmen. 1019 consists of double rooms in suites and is open to all BU students, the website said.

Some of the highlights of the Student Village include central air conditioning, 24-hour security, multiple study rooms, music practice rooms, bicycle storage areas, panoramic views of the city and common areas with furniture.

The high-rises are also located in the vicinity of the Buick Street Market and Café and the Fitness and Recreation Center.

College of General Studies sophomore and StuVi 2 resident Lindsey Connolly said she thinks StuVi 2 is beautiful and well maintained.

“It’s amazing,” she said. “The conditions are excellent.”

Connolly said she plans to live in StuVi 2 again next year, though she said the residence isn’t perfect.

“I think the only bad thing is the theft,” she said. Small electronics are often stolen, she said, despite the round-the-clock building security.

Connolly also said she dislikes that the windows in StuVi 2 cannot be opened.

Georgia Zildjian, a College of Fine Arts freshman, said she plans to live in StuVi 2 next year because she will have junior standing.

“I think it’s a better quality of living,” she said. “I’d rather live somewhere accommodating.”

Zildjian said she prefers the look and design of the new dorm to other BU residences.

“It’s so pretty,” she said. “It creates a much more positive environment for studying and living. I just like the idea of more open views. You don’t feel trapped.”

Zildjian said that although the atmosphere of StuVi 2 is preferable, its price is less than desirable.

“They’re too high,” she said. “I think that every student, if they get into BU, should be able to take advantage of the [residences].”

Rates for double and single suites in 33 Harry Agganis Way are $9,530 and $10,910, respectively, for the 2010-2011 academic year.

Rates for singles in two- or four-person Student Village apartments are $13,630 and $13,230, respectively, while an apartment with two or more occupants will cost $10,570.

Suites in 1019 Comm. Ave will cost $9,100 next year.

College of Communication sophomore and StuVi 2 suite resident Alyssa Shames said she doesn’t think the suites are too expensive, but that the apartment rates are high.

“It’s a little pricey,” she said.

Shames said she thinks StuVi is nicer than any other BU residence, especially because of the quality of bathrooms and the numerous quiet study lounges. She said she likes that the Student Village is close to FitRec, a BU Shuttle stop and a T stop.

Shames said that living in the Student Village made it easy to meet other students.

“I think suites are better living situations for anything,” she said. “Everyone just hangs out in their common rooms.”

Jennifer Bernard, a COM junior and former 1019 resident, said she thinks the dorm is the perfect transition for sophomores to gain a little more independence before moving off campus as upperclassmen.

“I literally think 1019 is the ideal place for sophomores,” she said.

Bernard said that she likes how 1019 has quiet study rooms is close to BUS and T stops.

Zildjian also said she thinks 1019 is a nice change from traditional dormitories.

“I like the idea of dorms that aren’t dorm-style living,” she said.